Chapter thirty one

Start from the beginning

I wrapped a towel around my wet hair and wore a bathrobe. Stepping out of the bathroom, trying to make it quick so I could eat. I was so hungry.

"WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?!"

I jumped and screamed. This was a nice posture, one leg in my leggings and the other leg out. I was only in a camisole and struggling to get into the leggings. I toppled over and fell.

"How long have you been sitting there?"

"I just entered," he replied, and I noticed he was holding a tray. Food!

"I'm guessing that's mine?" I pointed to the tray. It had chicken and some fries on the side. Oh, Madame Louise really knew me.

He placed the tray on the bed and stared at me. I stared at the food.

"Iris, you're not gonna talk to me?"

I bit my lip. "I was... exploring the pack?"

"On foot, do you know how large this pack is? It could even make for a small state."

"Oh, oh I know, I learned that the hard way."

"I don't understand. Why did you block me out? I could have come for you. "

And just like that, all the guilt I had been pushing away came back, gnawing at me like the digestive juices that were currently chewing up my stomach walls.

I sighed. "I don't want to talk about it, not right now."

"Is something wrong? You know you can always tell me, right?"

I nodded. "Can I eat now?"

"Sure, I'll get you something to drink." he stood up and left the room.

By the time he was back, I was already done eating. He put the glass of water down beside me and went in to shower. We didn't really say much to each other. I was more surprised that he just let the incident go, but you could never be too sure of Malik.

A few moments later, I fell asleep and when I woke up; it was still dark. I was not in my room anymore; I wasn't with Malik anymore. Where the hell is this place?

************************************

"Looks like you've forgotten your heritage, Iris?" Oh no! That voice, that chilling and numbing voice. Hunting my dreams and causing the hair on my skin to stand at attention. Mother.

And just like that, I recognized where I was. How could I even forget for a minute? The still air, the eerie quiet, and obscure darkness. I was in the midst of it all again. There was no sound to be heard, but even the silence creeped me out. Only her voice cutting through matter and space stood out, allowing me to place her location. I knew she was far away but audible enough to speak to an entire football stadium. She wasn't loud, but she had a clandestine effect. Making you hear her in your head, twisting and pulling words to soothe and numb your inhibitions, she was like a drug without the sensation of euphoria. Making you aware of the situation without the will to remove yourself from her pull.

That's how she kept us in check. Gaslighting. Making you blame yourself for being inferior and weak, you blame yourself for not gaining love from her. She was a master. Lily couldn't hold a candle to her when it came to mind games. She was a manipulator, the actual definition of a witch. And right now I was well aware it trapped me in her mind, but as usual, I didn't know how to get out. After all these years, she still had me strung, pulling and releasing, playing with my mind as she wished.

It was foolish to ever think I could run away when she had me so deep in her clutches.

"You little perfidious twine," she spat. "how dare you? You thought I wouldn't find out you spoke to the Moon goddess?"