Hospital Smack-down part 2!

When we arrived at the hospital the next day, we found the place swarming with police. As we pulled into the carpark, a harassed-looking nurse waved us over, and I wound down the window - I was the driver that day. "What's up?" I asked anxiously.

"You're going to need to remain in your car for the time being," the nurse explained, taking a deep breath and pushing some straggling hair back from her forehead. "We've got a situation going on, and no one is allowed in or out. We'll waive any parking fees, but we honestly don't know for how long we're going to be in lockdown."

I thanked her and quickly navigated my way to a spot near the front entrance. As I shut off the engine, Dad swore. "No prizes for guessing who bollocked things up this morning," he said crossly. 

Neither Mum nor I needed to ask him what he meant; somehow, we knew this current kerfuffle had to do with Kenneth, or Ellis. Or probably both. Since Casey had refused to put Ellis' name on the birth certificate - thereby stripping him of parental rights - it was clear Kenneth would push Ellis into petitioning the courts so he could have some sort of access to his son, thereby granting Kenneth and Jane unfettered access to their grand-nephew. Casey had made it clear this was happening over her dead body; today's ruckus was so very obviously a direct result of her refusal. Of course the nurse couldn't tell us anything, and as we sat there, we hoped we were wrong. But deep down, I already knew we weren't, and I prayed Casey and Oscar would be okay. 

It was evening by the time the lockdown was finally lifted, and since visiting hours were close to being over, we opted instead to have a message sent up to Casey hoping she was okay, wording it in such a way so as to not violate any privacy. Miss Ainsworth and Mr Gladstone had come at midday to join us in our vigil, and when the nurse returned to tell us that they would let someone go see her - again wording it in a way to make sure nothing was given away - I suggested it was best for her parents to go. "Keep us posted, please," I said.

Miss Ainsworth nodded. "Thank you," she said gratefully, and I watched sadly as she and Mr Gladstone hurried into the hospital, before starting the car and turning on the headlights. "May I use the f-word?" I asked plaintively, as I put the car in reverse.

"Go to it," Mum said compassionately, and I let out the loudest, most potent f-bomb I could manage, which had the side effect of sending Dad into a helpless fit of laughter. 

"Sorry," he wheezed, once he'd gotten himself back under control. "I've just never heard someone put so much effort into saying the f-word."

I had to giggle as I approached the main road, indicators already on. "Fair enough," I admitted. "But damn. What the hell happened this time? I mean, I don't need to ask, but seriously?"

"We'll probably find out tomorrow," Mum reasoned. 

"I suppose so," I agreed, muttering a less potent s-bomb as I turned into the main road and was promptly cut-off by a Mini driver, who flipped me off. I blasted the horn briefly in retaliation, and got another bird for my troubles, which, ironically, made me laugh again. It actually felt good, I had to admit. Laughter was the thing we all needed right now, especially after the hell we'd had to endure today. I hoped tomorrow would be less painful to deal with; I was just about ready to scream. 

Thankfully, we were allowed upstairs the next day, although there was a bit more heightened security. When we got to Casey's room, Mr Gladstone sighed in relief. "Thank God," he said, rising unsteadily. "I sent Naomie home so she could get some sleep, but I've not moved all night. Give her a hug when she wakes up, please?"

"Of course," Mum said, but she then went ahead and gave a much-needed hug to Mr Gladstone himself, who returned it gratefully. "Go home and get some rest before you fall over," Mum added sternly as she let go. "Naomie isn't going to appreciate you falling all over the place."