Tests and trials

Two days before the new school year was due to start, Dad drove me down to Maple Park to get me settled in. I'd taken a test a few days prior to check my competency in certain subjects, and positive results had come back. I was going to have to repeat my previous year, however, and I was not looking forward to it. But I'd missed out on a good deal, so it made sense. 

Come the Monday, I got my first shock when I woke up in a strange bed to the sound of an alarm clock being played over the speakers. For a moment I lay there, disoriented, until my brain caught up, and I threw the covers off me, shocked to discover it was still dark outside. The dormitory lights had been turned on as a result, and I wasn't the only girl to mutter a few choice words as we scrambled for our towels and started lining up for the showers. 

The ground floor dining room was awash with students - current and new - swarming around the breakfast bar, and threading their way through the press to find a seat. Here all year levels were represented, and there seemed to be little in the way of cliques. I did notice the odd cluster of students who sat together and glared at anyone who dared come near their table - or section of table, at the very least - but otherwise, everyone was welcome to sit where they wished. This was how I found myself eventually seated with a year two student on one side, and a pair of year elevens on the other. The two older students were having a good chat, so I turned to the year two girl and got talking with her. 

Breakfast over, everyone scattered off to their respective classes, and I made my way to my own classroom. Maths was the first subject of the day, and as I made my way into the room, I felt confidence come back. Maths was one of my favourite subjects, and I was looking forward to some semblance of familiarity. 

The teacher, Mr Gladstone, gave me a cool nod as I stepped in. "Class, I would like you to meet Sarah," he announced, and I blushed, my newfound confidence slipping away as I found myself the target of twenty pairs of eyes. Being a repeating student was embarrassing, and a bit shameful, and I had to fight to keep my composure as I waved nervously. 

"Sit down over there," Mr Gladstone directed, and I scampered over to the indicated desk, almost tripping over my chair before managing to seat myself without further mishap. An ill-mannered giggle passed over the room, but Mr Gladstone's glare soon quelled the mirth, much to my relief. 

"Thank you, that will do," he said coldly. "Now, since we're all here, we're going to get started. And may I remind you all that we are equal here. It does not matter who is new, who is old, who is from the city, or who is from the country. We are a family, and each one of us is just as valuable as the next person. With that in mind, I shall ask the gigglers to present themselves to Miss Ainsworth at the earliest opportunity."

I felt the heat of disgruntled glares burning into my back as the culprits seethed at their dressing down, but ignored it, giving Mr Gladstone a small nod. He inclined his head in return. "Let's get on," he announced, and soon glares and giggles were forgotten as we got down to the business of learning.

At first break, I faced my first trial by fire. The three girls who'd giggled at me came stalking over as I sat by the fountain in the north courtyard - so named because it got a generous dose of sunshine all year around, and was one of the best places to be if you needed a dose of vitamin D. "We don't like you," the redheaded leader said, folding her arms as her friends stood on either side of her, blocking off all attempts at escape. 

"Gee, you've only known me for a few hours and already you've made up your mind about me? I'm crushed," I snarked, taking a deep breath. Inside I was shaking like a leaf. I wasn't scared of them trying to drown me in the fountain - I had the lungs of a fish, so I was fine there - but I was scared of what else they might try. And since I was a newbie ...

"Leave the sarcasm to the professionals," the brunette girl on the left said, giving me a flat stare. "We rule the roost, city girl."

"Says who?" I said. 

"Says me," the redheaded girl said. "Name's Jessie. And you're in a whole heap of trouble. We don't like snitches. You know the old saying?"

"'Snitches get stitches'," the blonde girl to the right said, smirking. 

"I didn't snitch on you," I said crossly. "That was all Mr Gladstone."

"Yeah, but he never call us out on things," Jessie pointed out. She cracked her knuckles suggestively. "Pro tip, city girl. Don't ever do that again. Or next time, you'll be on a one way ticket straight to the infirmary."

"Since I don't even know what I did wrong, I'm going to ignore that with the contempt it deserves," I said coldly. "Now, kindly get out of my way."

Jessie shoved me back as I attempted to move past her and her cohorts. "I didn't say you could leave," she said. She raised a fist. "See this?" 

I ducked and took advantage of her stumble to get past. But the blonde girl grabbed me and threw me to the ground, while the brunette rushed to Jessie's aid. I tried rolling away, but the blonde sat on me, preventing me from moving. I managed to turn my head to avoid the first punch, but the second caught me square on the jaw, and I saw stars. Thankfully, the third punch was arrested mid-fall; through my pained haze, I heard the blonde girl shriek something incomprehensible, and then the weight holding me down was gone. I staggered to my feet, nursing my cracked jaw, and supporting hands steadied me as I regained my balance. "Hold still," my rescuer said, and I nodded, shaking like a leaf. In the meantime, the three girls had been surrounded by some very  angry teachers, and I almost felt sorry for them. Almost. 

"Just what is the meaning of all this?" Miss Ainsworth said angrily. "Was one lecture not enough for you?"

"She fuckin' started it!" Jessie cried, giving me a look that promised dire retribution. "She was the one givin' fuckin' bedroom eyes to Mr Gladstone!"

"You do not use that language, young lady," Miss Ainsworth snapped. "How dare you besmirch the good reputation of this school by such conduct!"

"You can't do shit to me," Jessie said arrogantly. "My dad is the richest man in all of London. He'll have this whole school closed down if you kick me out."

Miss Ainsworth's glare could've easily frozen hell a dozen times over. "I do not care if your father is King," she said. "You have disgraced this school one too many times. You are finished here."

Such was the finality in her voice that Jessie slumped, all the fight draining out of her. Her friends looked just as scared as Miss Ainsworth turned her ire on them. "Olivia, Sophia," she said sternly, her cold tone not defrosting one whit. "You will accompany Sarah and Casey to the infirmary, and you will not leave Sarah's side until she is given the all clear."

As the two frightened girls nodded and hurried over to us, I turned and got my first good look at the girl who'd rescued me. Shorter than I by a head, she had wild, curling black hair and piercing green eyes. Her skin was darker than most, and later I learned that this was because she was half Romani on her mother's side. She flashed a grin at me as Olivia and Sophia hastily assumed the role of unwitting protectors. "How's the arm?" she asked Sophia, who winced. 

"Shut it, Casey," she muttered. 

Casey laughed. "All the fight gone out of you?" she taunted. "Heh. Thought so. Right, off we go, then. You got your feet properly under you, Sarah?"

I nodded. "More or less," I agreed. 

And as Casey led me off, with Olivia and Sophia sullenly flanking us, I couldn't help but feel that my life had taken an interesting - and almost frightening - turn.