"Courting" trouble!

Olivia's case turned out to be easily resolved, especially since she'd had the good sense to enter an early guilty plea. In the end, she got off lightly, but her stone-faced parents indicated by their stance that she was going to get a far worse punishment from them. When next I saw her, she looked as miserable as all get-out, and I learned that she'd been stripped off all privileges; her smartphone had been taken away and the plan cancelled, forcing her to use a basic phone instead. Her parents had also changed the password to all her social media accounts, and the new password was kept against the day she could prove she was a changed person. Like Ellis, she was also placed under "house arrest", meaning she couldn't leave the school grounds at all,  not even on weekends. And the "fun" subjects she'd been doing - archery and basketball - had been replaced by "boring subjects" - maths and science, two subjects she was apparently very poor at, but subject she would now have to pick up on, if she was to ever get a chance at regaining at least some of her privileges. 

I almost felt sorry for her, and sometimes thought her parents were being a bit hard on her. But then I reminded myself of what she'd done, and that was more than enough to cancel any pity I might've felt for her. In any case, Casey's trial was next, and I soon had more than enough to occupy my plate again. 

Casey's trial was a bit more complicated than Olivia's. Miss Ainsworth had elected to come along, and though she wouldn't say anything to me outside the courthouse, it was clear she was going to do something dramatic. Or at the very least earth-shattering. 

"Something's up," David whispered to me as we waited for the magistrate to arrive. "I think Casey's aunt and uncle are going to get the fright of their lives."

"I think so too," I agreed. "But there's just one problem. Casey's pregnant."

"Oh shit," David muttered. "So they could try and claim their great-niece or nephew?"

"Bingo," I said. "And since they're still presenting themselves as Casey's 'real' parents, they can also present themselves as her child's 'grandparents'. Miss Ainsworth better have something really good up her sleeve."

Then the magistrate walked into the courtroom, suspending further talk, and once we'd been given leave to sit, the trial began. Casey looked very pale as she stood in the dock, and at one point I feared she might actually throw up. But she held her composure, and everyone looked at her with pity in their eyes, her condition painfully obvious. Of course, there were only a handful of people in the courtroom who knew she'd manipulated her way into this situation, and even though I wanted to hold onto to my old grudges, I found I couldn't. Casey's life had been far more troubled; stolen from her mother at birth, manipulated into believing her aunt and uncle were her parents, groomed to be an obedient little slave to her uncle's every lecherous whim... no wonder the poor girl was so messed up. And then finding out her mother was still very much alive... that had to have rocked her world like nothing else. And for the first time since meeting her, I felt genuine remorse and regret. Had I not pushed her away, there was every likelihood she wouldn't be standing in the dock, looking ready to either pass out or be sick. 

David squeezed my hand as these painful thoughts made their way through my mind. He didn't need to ask; he already knew I was deeply regretting my treatment of Casey. Not that she'd presented herself in a sympathetic manner, mind you, but I did remember Miss Ainsworth's words on the day of the ill-starred visit to Jane and Kenneth's farm, and I wished I'd taken them more to heart. 

Soon I had no time for regrets; it was time for me to give my statement, and I made my way to the witness box, feeling the eyes of all present on me. I knew I had to tell the truth about what happened, and not deviate from it one bit, even if I were to be mercilessly cross-examined, as Casey's attorney had done to all the other witnesses. Even so, as I took the stand, I felt as if I was needlessly condemning an innocent soul to a lifetime of suffering. Casey had never been truly malicious; not deep down. Instead she'd been a frightened, lonely girl, desperate to hang on to a friendship she'd never dreamed possible, using any and all means at her disposal to keep that friendship. I felt sick, and almost ready to throw up myself as the defense attorney stood, her face merciless. I could almost feel the satisfaction radiating off her; like a shark sensing blood, she sensed my indecision. And that, ironically, stiffened my resolve. I felt dreadfully sorry for Casey, but justice had to be served. 

"I have no further questions," the woman finally conceded in disgust. She shot me a poisonous glare as she sat back down, and Casey threw me a miserable look as I made my way back to my seat. I felt horrible, but reminded myself that, pity or no pity, Casey had done the wrong thing the day she'd assaulted me. Even so, I felt a faint sense of hope that maybe one day, we could begin our friendship anew. But as the jury left to deliberate, I also felt the certainty that she'd never forgive me if my testimony was the one that would send her to jail, or fined. I let out a long sigh. 

"This is bullshit," David agreed, giving my hand another squeeze. I returned it gratefully.

The jury came back within ten minutes, and I felt my heart sink as they pronounced Casey guilty of all charges. Since it was just the two charges, I felt relieved, but that strong sense of dread remained with me as the magistrate delivered her verdict; Casey was to undertake a community order for six months. Her conditions were that she undergo drug rehabilitation, agree to a curfew, and live at a designated address. Jane and Kenneth looked fearful; Miss Ainsworth looked satisfied. I felt as if a bell had tolled as the magistrate looked at her notes and concluded that, for the next six months, Casey was to live on the school grounds, and have no contact with her aunt and uncle at all. There was no mention if she or her baby would be tested for drugs once the baby was born, but I suspected that if Casey had any real desire to keep the child, she'd do all she could to ensure that. 

In any case, it didn't matter. Miss Ainsworth had finally succeeded in getting Casey away from her aunt and uncle, but as we left the courthouse, Jane and Kenneth's seething stance indicated they'd be appealing the sentence as soon as possible; they were already in furious consultation with their attorney, and I shivered. "Thank God that's over," I muttered, as we stepped outside. 

"There's still Ellis' trial to go yet," David reminded me, drawing me into his arms and kissing the top of my head. "We're not out of the woods yet."

I sighed and buried my face against his shoulder. "Can we at least go get a tea?" I asked plaintively. Ellis' trial was due to start the next day, and my parents and I had agreed to stay in London overnight. According to Dad, there was "no sense in making a round trip for a whole lot of bullshit". 

"Tea sounds good," David agreed. "I think we could all do with one. It's been a nightmare few days."

But nightmare didn't accurately describe what had happened so far, and as we all set off to get a much needed spot of tea, I knew, without being told, that there was worse still to come. And it wouldn't be Ellis' trial which would figuratively be the straw that broke the camel's back.