The Nest Of the King

Pic mine.

The Alpha's POV

I wake up in the middle of the night, my hatchlings and mate sleeping peacefully around me. I struggle to my feet, swaying slightly in tiredness.  I stretch my wings and tail out, before walking to the front of the den, being careful not to step on tails or paws.

I glance back at my family, before taking off into the night.

I fly first by the Zippleback hatcheries, then the watering holes, then the Nadder hatcheries, the cliff where we reach the small wings to fly, the Rumblehorn hatchery, the beaches that line the main stream... I fly everywhere really.

After being satisfied that everything is in order, I turn to fly towards the glowing crystals. I land next to a large patch of them, and settle down on my own, huffing.

I feel empty. Like I'm missing something. I look up, in the distance I can see the rushing water of the entrance to the Hidden World. Something pulls at me, mentally, urging me to escape this place... Just for a little while.

But my mate, my hatchlings...
They'll be fine!
My mate is gonna be so angry if I leave...
No, you are your own dragon! You're the Alpha, in fact, no one can boss you around!
But she'll be disappointed.
You have a right to do what you want. She'll be fine here, all the dragons fear her too much to misbehave.
I have duty's.
And you have rights. They won't miss you for a few hours...or days.
Days? No what am I thinking.
You know you want to. And you know you need to. The fresh air could do you good!
It...couldn't hurt to go for a flight. Check that no ships are coming too close, or anything of the like.
Yes, safety is the upmost importance! So you should do this.
Yeah...I should.

I uncurl my wings, stand up straight, and glance back once, before launching into the air swiftly and flying towards the waterfall.

As I get closer, I feel the moisture and pressure of it in the air, and I won't lie it feels good.

Once I get underneath it, I angle my wings and pump them hard, flying up into the water. I see the glimpse of light, and push harder.

Suddenly all the water falls away, and I'm flying up towards the clouds. Clouds! I think in excitement, It's been so long since I've seen proper, normal clouds in the sky!

I let out a purr, twirling around as I fly up and amongst the clouds. Oh, great dragon god that feels amazing!

I fly as far up as I can, close my eyes, fold my wings, and lean back. I let out a small croon of joy as I fall through the air at breakneck speeds.

Grinning with my teeth retracted, I flip back over before I can hit the water, and float above the calm water as I look around the vast, empty ocean.

***

I fly at a high speed, just touching the ocean. Wings pop out of the ocean, I fly under and over them like a dolphin as the Thunderdrum pack breach the water surface briefly.

He lays flat on my back, whooping occasionally in joy. I feel him shift to sit forward on my back, and take control of the tail fin to change it's position. I roll over, crooning.

I switch the altitude, angling high up as I pump my wings powerfully. Soon, we twist and turn around the clouds, climbing even higher in the sky. I grin widely as we do this as one, perfectly synced.

I never say no to an early morning flight.

I never say no to freedom with my best friend.

***

I snap out of the memory, cooing quietly. I catch the glimpse of a sea stack in the distance, and speed up towards it, touching down on the grass.

They were the simpler days, before the mess happened. We were happy, free, and every day we flew further and further. We saw new places, met new people, and learnt new tricks.

Then our world was pulled to a stop. We found dragon trappers... Drago Bludvist surfaced. Drago wanted to have the power of all dragon behind him...and he succeeded for a little while, costing lives.

When all hope was lost, my best friend got through to me, and we put both Drago and his Bewilderbeast in his place.

Life was slowly pulling together again. I was adjusting as Alpha, and he was adjusting as Chief. We were uniting our species.

Then Grimmel the Grisly shoves his way into our life...and let's just say, everything went downhill.

I had to leave with the rest of the dragons, to keep ourselves safe. But there's something Hiccup didn't realise. I did it to keep him safe as well.

So I had to leave my life behind.

But...I met my mate.

I have my hatchlings...

I have my fellow dragons.

Just not my best friend.

***

I shake my head of the thoughts, looking up at the starry sky.
It feels so good to be up here again. My boy aches to be up amongst the clouds again. To feel the wind, the rush, of freedom.

So I grant my body what it wants. Shooting up into the sky, I take off away from the Hidden World, diving in and out of the ocean water occasionally and snagging a fat fish.

All around me is the empty ocean, and the cool, damp night air.

It feels weird to see this world without other dragons in it. To know I'm the only one makes me feel exposed, like I'm being watched, but I highly doubt that.

"...should have done this winters ago." I purr quietly, twisting slowly in the air.

I might stay up here for a while...

............
Hahahahaha...why am I laughing? To cover up the fact that I know this was a boring chapter? I have no idea what you're talking about....

Anyway...
Next chapter will be Hiccup's POV 🙃😉

So...yeah. Idk when it'll be out. A week maybe? Depends if I have time (I don't).

Byeeeeee 👋