six

"WHERE DID CAPTAIN AMERICA LEARN HOW TO STEAL A CAR?"  The question broke the silence from the trio

"WHERE DID CAPTAIN AMERICA LEARN HOW TO STEAL A CAR?"  The question broke the silence from the trio. They had been on the road a little over three hours and had just passed the 'Welcome to New Jersey' sign. Most of the ride, the three were caught up in their own thoughts. Laikyn, however, had the backseat to herself and decided to take a much-needed nap. She hadn't gotten any sleep in the last 48 hours and it was starting to take a tole on her mentally and physically. It was only recently that the girl had been getting better sleep. She was up to three maybe even four hours a night. Her nightmares were less frequent. The control Hydra had on her was slowly fading away.

"Nazi Germany," Steve answered, "And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash."

Natasha did as she was told. "Alright, I have a question for you, one of which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?"

"What?" Steve interrupted.

Laikyn let out a small laugh, her head pressed against the window.

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?"

"That bad, huh?" Steve questioned with a slight scoff.

"I didn't say that."

"Well, it kinda sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't," Nat defended, "I'm just wondering how much practice you've had."

"You don't need practice."

"Everybody needs practice."

"Everyone needs practice, Steve," Laikyn added.

"Stay out of it," Steve replied, a small grin playing on his lips. "No, it was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95. I'm not dead."

"Nobody special, though?" Natasha asked.

"Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

"It's not that hard," Laikyn muttered under her breath.

"Well, that's alright. You just make something up," Natasha shrugged.

"What, like you?"

"I don't know," Nat shrugged, "The truth is a matter of circumstance. It's not all things to all people, all of the time. Neither am I."

"That's a tough way to live."

"It's a good way not to die, though," Laikyn responded. She completely understood where Nat was coming from.

Steve glanced at the girl through the rearview mirror. "You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you really don't know who that someone really is."

"Yeah," Natasha said, "Who do you want me to be?"

"How about a friend?"

"Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers."