two

"DID YOU KNOW ABOUT PROJECT INSIGHT?"

"Only the small details that Natasha was cleared to tell me," Laikyn shrugged, her signature jean jacket clinging to her arms. "That it was meant to stop a threat before the threat actually became one."

"I'm getting tired of being left out of the loop," Steve said flatly as the pair started the ascent up the stairs to his apartment.

"Fury just wants to protect you," Laikyn reassured, her accent thick. "He doesn't want to weigh you down. You basically carry the weight of the entire world on your shoulders. The last thing we need is Captain America so overwhelmed he can't do his job. As much as people would hate to admit it... we need you, Cap."

"That is so nice," A feminine voice spoke as the duo reached Steve's floor. He gave the blonde a small smile and Laikyn offered a small wave. "I got to go though. Okay. Bye."

Laikyn watched as Steve made awkward small talk with 'the nurse who lives across the hall' as Natasha put it. However, she wasn't a nurse at all. An agent, actually, who was was undercover and tasked to protect to him. Laikyn wouldn't be the one to tell him that. She had argued against it. Steve didn't need a babysitter, but Fury just wanted to be careful. Quite frankly, it was none of her business. If Nick thought it was for the best, then it probably was.

Laikyn waited quietly until Steve turned around. His face was serious. He made a gesture for her to follow him. Instead of entering his apartment from the front, they entered from Steve's side window.

Music, definitely from the 40s, rang throughout the dark apartment putting the woman's senses on high alert. She quietly took her gun from her thigh holster and Steve swiftly picked up his shield that rested against the hallway wall. The two rounded the corner and their eyes landed on an obviously uninvited, Nick Fury.

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve stated still partially covered by the wall. His defensive stature lowered slightly, although something was off. Both soldiers could feel it.

The SHIELD director groaned in his seat. "You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out." Laikyn gave Nick a knowing look. He was lying. Nick didn't have a wife, nor did he have time for one. Besides, he was too valuable. He knew what starting a family could do. He would be risking their safety and he would not put innocent people in harm's way.

"Didn't know you were married," Steve replied back.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me."

Steve decided that there was no threat and showed himself fully. "I know, Nick. That's the problem."

Laikyn stepped around him to turn on the lights revealing Nick's injuries. She went to go take a closer look when Nick held out his hand stopping her. He quickly turned the lights back off before typing something on his phone. It read ears everywhere.