one

C A P T A I N A M E R I C A :
W I N T ES O L D I E R

C A P T A I N  A M E R I C A : W I N T E R  S O L D I E R

LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, JAB. Left, right, left, right, jab. Laikyn had been repeating this same process on the same punching bag for about an hour now. It was a usual part of her morning routine. She would wake up around six, grab some water, and head straight for the gym for a workout and quick spar with Natasha. If the redhead wasn't available, then she would take out her morning frustrations on a punching bag.

"I'm surprised it hasn't broken yet," A voice called out from behind her.

"You know I'm not giving 100 percent, sir," Laikyn responded, her rapid punches ceasing. She turned around and spotted Fury leaning against the door of the gym. He was dressed in usual all-black attire.

"Oh I know," Nick said assuredly. "You got time for a quick chat?"

Laikyn nodded as she started to unwrap her tape covered hands. Her knuckles were tender and bruised. The punches she landed were too hard and the tape was nothing but an accessory at this point.

"I'll give you 30 minutes to get yourself cleaned up. Then meet me in my office."

"Yes sir."

•••

Laikyn's hair was still slightly damp from her brief shower as she made her way to Nick's office. She was a clad in a red v-neck with a black jean jacket on top. Her black skinny jeans clung to her long legs tightly. A pair of black boots on her feet. A young woman, she knew as Jenny, greeted her at the door.

The blonde opened the door for the agent and said, "Laikyn is here to see you, sir."

The curly-haired girl just gave her a simple nod and stepped inside. She eyed Fury cautiously. Rarely has he ever called her into his office, especially with a personal invite. "You wanted to see me?"

The dark-skinned man turned around in his chair. "I have a mission for you."

"Just me?" It wasn't unusual for Nick to send on her missions of her own, but they were never too far. He feared HYDRA was still out there and he was not about to lose one of his best assets. She was important to him. More important than he would care to admit. Laikyn was basically his daughter and he didn't know what he would do if he lost her.

"No. You, Nat, Cap, and the STRIKE team. You and Nat, however, have a mission of your own."

•••

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star," Brock explained, "They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them 93 minutes ago."