8- Changkyun

"What's your major?" Kihyun asked, sitting down on the couch. He and I had cleaned up after dinner while Hoseok and Hyungwon were talking in the living room.

"It's English." The tallest said looking at me before moving his eyes between the others.

"Really? How long have you known English?" Kihyun gave Hyungwon his full attention as he answered.

"Mmm since I was ten maybe. I didn't fall in love with it until I was in middle school. I have a favorite book. It's a poetry book called The Dark Between Stars. If any of you want to read it let me know." It was clear that Hyungwon had a great interest in the language and the book. His eyes showed he had a story behind why that meant a great deal to him.

"Is that why you had two copies of it on your desk?" I asked remembering the two identical black and gray books in the dorm.

"Actually I have three. Hyunwoo is borrowing the other." Kihyun had suddenly become tense with wide eyes still fixed on Hyungwon.

"Y-you know Hyunwoo?" Kihyun finally stuttered out.

"Yeah. He, uh, told me about the party." Hyungwon said, looking directly at Kihyun.

"Wait. Is that the guy from class today? Did you two-? I didn't even know you liked guys." I was surprised that he hadn't mentioned Hyunwoo.

"I-I don't exactly like men. I, uh, don't really look at gender. It's more of the personality."

"Just give him some time. He's a sensitive person, Hyunwoo, even if he doesn't show it." Hyungwon cut in with a reassuring expression. Kihyun nodded to show he understood and stared down at his folded hands.

"Hoseok. Do you know Hyunwoo too?" I asked. He had been silent since Kihyun and I came in but was still following the conversation.

"No. I'm sure he'll tell us when he's ready though," Hoseok replied, placing a hand on Kihyun's shoulder and lightly squeezing it. The shorter glanced at him and me before shaking his head and speaking.

"Hyungwon knows more than you two," the small male breathed deeply before continuing hesitantly. "I met Hyunwoo a couple of months ago. He's been the person I go to when I need comfort, advice or, you know," he had raised his eyebrows and tilted his head to make his point clear. After pausing for a second, he sighed. "At the party, I had asked him to officially be my boyfriend, but he didn't even answer. He just left." Watching Kihyun, we all stayed silent for a minute.

"Maybe Hyungwon is right. He could just be overwhelmed. Give him a little time." Hoseok soothed the smaller and hugged him.

"You should probably call him. Tomorrow though. We know he's probably already asleep by now." Hyungwon said smiling until Kihyun had laughed at his statement.

"Thank you, Hyungwon."

"Of course,"

The four of us sat there for a few minutes making sure Kihyun was okay. After another half hour, the tallest and I agreed it was best to leave before it got too late.

~~~

By the time we had gotten back to the dorm, I was too curious about Hyungwon.

"When do I get to know you and your friends?" I asked, sitting at my desk to check my laptop.

"Mm, next week? With Hyunwoo going through stuff with Kihyun, he's not in the best mood. Even if he acts fine he's really not." Hyungwon admired and scolded his friend's habit at the same time.

"He sounds strong," I said while the taller pulled his buzzing phone out of a front pocket.

"He is. Too much at times. Anyways, you get to meet Minhyuk tomorrow." He said still reading whatever was on his phone.

"So soon?"

"Yup. He's coming over," the older put his phone on the charger next to his bed and laid down pulling a crumpled paper out of his pocket to unfold and read. "Did you know that your best friend has a crush on you?" Shocked, I froze to look up at him from my desk.

"How'd you find out?"

"I saw a text this morning and I found a letter earlier."

"So you're why I never got a text. Of course. I'm not as oblivious as they seem to think," no longer surprised, I moved my gaze back to the laptop.

"Why don't you tell him?"

"It's better. I don't want to make him feel more uncomfortable around me and leave because I turned him down. I can't do that."
No longer focusing on the screen, I tried showing as little emotion as I could to keep him from asking questions about my reasoning.

"Okay. Well, here's the letter I found if you want it," Hyungwon said as he placed the letter he unfolded on my desk after standing up and walked out of the room. I didn't read the letter as I folded it in halves before tossing it in the small trash bin. I took a deep breath, looking at the ceiling with my mind blank. Why does he care if Hoseok likes me?

Closing my laptop, I stood up and took my phone out as I sat on my bed. Hyungwon opened the door and came back into the dorm. Avoiding his gaze, I checked my phone trying to ignore his frequent glances.

Unknown
Hey Changkyun! This is
Minhyuk! I'm Hyungwon's
best friend. I got your
number from him by the
way. I can't wait to meet
you tomorrow! Your name
is familiar. Do you possibly
know Lee Hoseok?
(Sent 21:09)

Me
Hello. Yeah, Hoseok is
my best friend. How do
you know him?
(Sent 21:11)

Minhyuk
Oh! You're Kyunie! He
and I were friends from
our first year here. Nice
talking to you, but I have
to go. See you tomorrow.
(Sent 21:12)

"I'm not even going to ask why you invaded mine and Hoseok's privacy. I just want to know why you care." I said hoping he'd stop watching me.

"That, I can't tell you."

~

https://open.spotify.com/artist/14CJT5ivHaiGCp4ZF3FdOf?si=HSUAcQt5R-ynCm4C_d9XPQ

Please listen to this underrated artist, Vince. Thank You <3<3<3