𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

"She's a goddess."

Heejin's voice distracts me from my thoughts instantly.

"Huh?"

"That statue. She's a goddess. It's been here for a while, actually. Couldn't tell for the life of me who it is though." She admits with a thoughtful hum.

I look up from the podium and to the statue. In its chiselled glory I couldn't make out any distinct facial features. It looked like a faceless sculpture but for some reason I can't shake the uneasiness in my body as I meet where its eyes are suppose to be. It sent a chill down my spine which has me shivering. I tear my gaze away.

Gods.

The next thing my eyes are drawn to when the carriage completely crosses the bridge and the horses reigns are pulled on is a sort of courtyard. It looked like a village, brick and stone houses every which way, ant-like figures (slowly becoming clearer the closer we get) mingling about cobblestone streets. The village seems to go for miles, people walking out and about. But there was no mistaking the way they stopped and stared, pointing at the carriage almost excitedly. Then it dawns on me. This is the Kingdom. The palace folk, her people.

And then I see it.

Quite a miles away from the courtyard and the village appears a grand castle hidden behind more of the rain forest. Two unmistakably large watch towers stand at the front of the castle, bright orbs of light contained at their tops and masking the valley over in an orange-ish hue. The same maroon sigil I saw on the end of the riders pole from when I awoke in the forest hangs clear on both tower, proud as it waves in the wind. The castle looked like a modernised, altered version of the taj mahal: cylindrical towers, white and sturdy. But this... it was completely unlike anything I'd seen before. It was bigger, ethereal... I truly had stepped into a fantasy.

It's magical. I could only begin to imagine what it looked like closer up.

I was too busy caught up in my thoughts, eyes wide and mouth hanging agape that I completely forgot the position I found myself in now. It wasn't until Yves' voice broke through the silence was I drawn back to reality.

"Get. Off. Of. Me."

I pale.

The arm wrapped around my waist seems to grip me so tight I feel a warm flush taking over my cheeks. I instantly stammer, pushing myself away from the girl and out of her lap. Stumbling over my words I shake my head repeatedly.

"I-I'm sorry! I just got scared! I-"

I'm cut off. Yves raises a hand which has me silencing instantly, my mouth zipping shut at the sudden motion. The carriage continues to move forward, now cutting across the courtyard and through the village, past the village-folk who holler out to the princess in cheers of joy from her being home so soon. But I can't pay it any mind, no. Not when Yves stares at me in this moment with that hard look in her eyes, deadly. For a second I could've sworn I saw her cheeks redden over, even slightly. Her lips part as she seems to mull over her words. But then she stops.

"Forget it."

Huh?

Yves lowers her hand and looks out the window once more, waving out to her people and giving them her undivided attention. All I could do was stare at her side profile, startled, embarrassed. I'd known the girl for less than half a day now-- hell, less than an hour and everything about her confused me already.

I'd almost completely forgot about the entire debacle with the barrier and the bridge until reality kicks in. My mind drifts away from the gorgeous brunette in front of me and instead trails back to what just happened-- trying desperately to make sense of this new turn of events. The temple... the royal home... the kingdom. For so long I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't believe it, I thought it was a figment of my imagination, that it was too fake-- too fantastical to be true. But now... I believe.