𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

DΛY ΣIGΉƬ

I feel my heart thumping erratically in my chest, wind knocked out of me as I manoeuvred around the floor. My feet seemed to carry me seamlessly as if they had a mind of their own: as if I was performing a dance routine that I'd practised to perfection. At least, that's what it felt like until a body knocks against mine roughly.

I fall to one knee and stare back at the girl standing above me, eyes wide and lips parted to take in quick breaths of air. Jungeun holds the dull blade of a practise sword against my neck, just pressing into my skin. She cracks a grin.

"You are getting better."

She pulls the sword back and brings it back to her side, offering me a hand to stand up. Far too prideful, I shake it off and pull myself to my feet, huffing.

"Yeah, better at prolonging my own death."

The sound of Olivia scoffing a laugh has me tearing my attention her way for the briefest of seconds. She sat on the floor with her head in her palms, watching. Whatever tension between her and Jungeun yesterday seemed to have disappeared.

Unlike Olivia's amusement, Jungeun tuts and shakes her head.

"I am serious. You are a fast learner, Y/N. You bring yourself down for not getting a hold of things faster, but you must realise we never had only twelve days. We had our whole lives." My eyes follow her as she moves swiftly back into position. She motions for me to do the same, then offers another small grin. "It is almost like you were born to be a fighter like that Muhammad Ali of yours...or so I have heard."

This time I grin. I didn't expect her to remember. 

Now that Jungeun and I were back on good terms, I felt more comfortable. More comfortable to speak freely and get back to my old scheme. I roll my eyes before winking sarcastically.

"Oh yeah, for sure. Who knows, maybe after him I'll even come for your title..."

Instead of retaliating, she chuckles. "Just as the overseer intended. It would not surprise me. According to him, you are destined for things far beyond myself and Hyejoo. Isn't that right?"

Jungeun turns towards the raven haired girl, and I follow her gaze. But instead of meeting her familiar childish, mischievous smile as I intended-- her lips are pulled tightly together into a sour grimace.  She nods. 

"He did give her his journal." She turns to look me directly in the eye. And despite the small hint of a smile taking over her face, there's no mistaking the awkward feeling that cements itself in my stomach at her next words. Maybe it was just my imagination, but she seemed pissed. "You are privileged already in just eight days."

"Hyejoo-"

"Yes, I know." Olivia cuts Jungeun off with a wave of her hand, dismissing the lecture before she could begin. 

But the moment I look back to gauge Jungeun's reaction I knew it was far from over. Her lips pursed together, a thoughtful grimace on her face. But the moment we lock eyes, her apprehension disappears as quick as it came. She defuses the tense atmosphere with a short cough.

"Again."

Before I have time to register her words, she begins sparring once more. I'm given barely enough time to dodge out of the way of her heavy hit, side stepping around her quick frame. This continues for several more minutes before a thought dawns on me, my mind still reeling from Olivia's words only moments ago. When Jungeun dodges away from one of my jabs, I  hesitate.