𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

There were three med areas: the medic tent for Jungeun's guards outside the kingdom, the medic tent for Jungkook and the royal guards inside the kingdom, and finally this. I almost couldn't wrap my head around it. A completely separate wing in the castle. When people appear at the archway of the wing donned in riches-- jewellery, silk clothes and hair styled to perfection-- I knew instantly what this was. The med bay for the wealthy.

Just how fucking big is this place?

Vintage photos of people I didn't know frame a single beige wall of the long hallway, large and lifelike. Their gold frames compliment the sleek mosaic floor and window sills paralleling the paintings. As Yves and I walk down the wide hall, it's almost as if I could feel their eyes on me as we move. I knew it was my imagination but it just felt so unsettling.

As we near closer and closer to the archway the two noble people came from only seconds before, pausing for a moment to bow to Yves, my eyes rest on the last frame. A headshot of the King, no smile on his face. Either these people were self absorbed and liked looking at their own faces, or maybe it was just tradition. I could only assume the pictures before him were of their ancestors.

But then we walk through the archway and the King's portrait leaves my vision. My eyes are drawn to the room we stand in now. Large and spacious, women bustling about with different concoctions in their hands. Beds situated on both sides of the room, a large footpath separating them for nurses to walk about spaciously. Some beds were hidden by clean white curtains and others were pulled back, allowing me a good look at the people inside. One of the nurses looks our way and her eyes blow wide instantly. She rushes over to us and curtseys, startled.

I don't miss the way the guards accompanying us fidget at the woman's aggressive movements, but a stiff hand from Yves has them relaxing a second later.

"Princess... what are you doing here?"

Yves scans her eyes around the room as if searching for something, and then they settle on the woman once more.

"I am sorry to disturb you, but I wish to speak with Chef Min-sik."

Suddenly it made sense to me. My mind races with the realisation. The King accusing me of attacking him and one of the servants in the kitchens.

The nurse looks between us and shakes her head, lips pulling into a frown.

"He is not ready, M'lady, he is still in shock-"

"It is important I speak with him. I am sure you can be understanding."

When Yves voice drops to a low, stern whisper, I feel my own hairs raise on the back of my neck. She says it almost like a threat. The woman hesitates for several seconds, spares a second long glance towards the guards behind us, and then breaks. She nods her head nervously.

"G-give me one second, M'lady. I will be sure he is capable to meet with you." Then off she goes. She quickly hurries away as quick as she came, clearly shaken.

I turn to Yves when the woman is out of earshot and quirk an eyebrow.

"What was that about?"

She seems to understand what I mean instantly. She huffs and motions for her guards to stay put. The two men position at the archway of the room, their backs stiff as they watch their princess. But she pays it no mind when she turns to meet my eyes once more.

"Forgive me, but I just do not want my time wasted. I want answers, Y/N. I need to know what happened."

She motions for me to follow her as we walk deeper into the room. I let my eyes wonder. Taking in the cabinets filled with vials and makeshift bandages, the few noble-folk lingering around waiting to meet with their injured kin. I watch Yves eyes as she trains her vision on the beds not covered by cloth. Her lips purse together, saddened at the sight before her. It's then I realise just how deep her devotion to her people was.