𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"Yes."

The sudden dryness in my throat has me choking, startled. My eyes blow open as I double over, trying to regain myself. Yves' eyebrows furrow in concern as she watches me stand up, her eyes watching my every move.

"Are you okay??"

"Y-yes, perfect, amazing-" Another cough. I'm practically banging on my own chest. I'm sure my face heated up ten dark shades of red as my mind subconsciously mulls over her words. The way her eyes bored into mine, so hot and intense. The way she whispered out her words as if they burnt her tongue to utter. There was something hidden beneath her gaze that made me fluster, something that had me overthinking and crumbling to putty.

Yves stands up and places a tentative hand on my back, face screwed up in worry.

"I think it would be a pity if you choked to death before my people are saved and any progress is made. Breathe."

I take a deep breath and will myself to straighten out, sheepish smile on my face, crooked and awkward.

"R-right, sorry. I think I swallowed a bug or something..."

"Right..." she gives me a skeptical glance and her hand retreats back to her side. The second long look of blazing hot confusion that crosses her face has me coughing another time, only this time quick to change conversation.

"Anyway," I start. I tear our gazes away from each other and take a step in the direction of the tree, facing its apples. It's only when my back is turned towards her do I feel my face scrunch up in frustration. God, Y/N, why are you so god damn awkward?! I shake my head to rid myself of my thoughts and continue.

"You still haven't answered my question. What do you do in your spare time?"

I'm taken aback by the sudden change in atmosphere when her reaction is instant. This time I knew I wasn't just imagining it. She laughs— the sound like honey, soft. But there was no mistaking its melancholic edge.

"Y/N, I do not have time. I am the princess, in case you've forgotten. And yet lately I've been passing it figuring out what to do with you..."

Uh oh.

My brain short circuits as her laughter consumes the air. My brain short circuits as I watch a smile cross her face, possibly the first one since I met her. Her gummy smile, the creases at the corners of her mouth, the way her eyes squint slightly as the soft chuckles leave her lips. In this moment she looked care free. In this moment as the sunflowers and daffodils sway seamlessly in the breeze, her hair moves just as swiftly so it elegantly frames around her face.

I almost slap myself in the face for my own thoughts, frustrated.

Stop simping! God, Y/N, you're being the gross kind of gay-

I'm drawn from my thoughts when her laughter ceases and she sighs, humour now leaving her system. I knew she wasn't laughing at me, no. I watch as she trails her eyes to meet mine and offers an almost hesitant smile.

"I have something to show you."