Chapter Ten

(Keefe POV)
I talked to the Black Swan that night.
"Look, we have to capture her now. She just killed a councillor" I hissed.
I could hear Mr. Forkle curse, "Alright, bring her to the base. Make sure she's sedated. We going to try it force the memories back into her brain"
"That doesn't sound good" I said threateningly.
"It isn't, and it probably won't work. But at least we'll have her. Go, now!"
I clicked the device off just as Sophie knocked on my door. I opened it, "Hey Foster"
I checked the hallway before closing it behind us. Sophie sat in the edge of my bed and smiled her amazing smile. I pulled out two mallowmelts and Sophie looked amazed, "How did you get those?"
"My little secret" I teased.
I handed her the drugged one and bit to my own, watching her intently. She smiled and bit into hers, custard squeezing out and I laughed.
"Hey, thanks for coming tonight"
She nodded, "It has been nice to have a friend around here"
She smiled on the word friend and we both blushed. Sophie leaned over to kiss me, or so I thought, but I realized it was just the drug kicking in. I grabbed the mallowmelt from her hands and laid her on my bed to ensure she wouldn't get hurt.
Sophie's eyes widened in recognition of the sedative, "Keefe... how could you?"
"I'm sorry Foster, I just need you back"
She didn't say anything else and her head hung back limply. I tapped on the device. "Moonlark acquired. I'll be there in a minute"
I picked up Sophie gently and raised my leap crystal up to the special candle Mr. Forkle and given me.
"Soon we'll be back together" I whispered to Sophie and walked through the wall of sparkles.
————————————————————————
I stepped onto the base and immediately felt that something was wrong. Everyone stood around in a semi circle and I surveyed their emotions. Biana's eyes were red and puffy form crying, Fitz's knuckles were spit from punching walls, Dex looked ashamed. Every single one of them felt anger and guilt.
"What's going on?!" I asked, clutching Sophie in my arms.
Mr. Forkle moved to take her from me, but I held on. He sighed, "Keefe, something's happened. We don't know how, but the council knows about Councillor Emry. Sophie's being called to trial for murder"