1. DREAMS AND DESIRES

Start from the beginning

"Look at the uniform on display." Chandler says, his eyes widening at the detailed appliqué. The uniform comes with a dark blue blazer which has the school's logo and a matching dark blue tie with white lines. On the chest area you'll have a name tag attached. The school shirt is a plain white long sleeve or short sleeve shirt which also had the school's logo.

My eyes fall on the plastic model, there were no school pants for girls — every girl was required to wear a skirt.

"Yikes, could never be me." Chandler says, laughing at the fact I have to wear a skirt. I glare at him before pushing past him into the shop, the moment I enter, the sound of bells fill the atmosphere. The shop seemed pretty old fashioned, this school has been known to be educating for almost 100 years.

"Valerie and Chandler Milano, it's a pleasure to meet you." an old lady says with a bright smile on her face. It's weird that she already seems to know our names but how? Chandler glances at me with an ugly face and I shrug my shoulders.

"Have we met before?"

"Your mother was a good friend of mine, she would sent me pictures of the both of you." the old lady says, pulling out a measuring tape. It's strange how my mother had connections with Silvia and now this old woman.

"But you do look different, have you undergone plastic surgery?" the old lady says bluntly as she glanced at me, causing Chandler to burst out into laughter.

"It's just makeup." I say politely, if she wasn't old I would've snapped her neck. But she wasn't worth the energy, she seemed like a polite person other than that plastic surgery comment.

Chandler high fives the old lady. "I was thinking the same thing when I saw her, it's so weird that you can't tell she's wearing makeup." he laughs, irritating me further.

"Well some people say you have to have a nice face for makeup to look good on you." the old lady says, measuring my waist.

Chandler scoffs. "Anyone looks good with makeup."

"You'd look ugly." I stick my tongue out at Chandler.

"As if." he mutters, glancing around the shop.

"I have the perfect uniform for you in your size, we wouldn't need to make adjustments at all since your body is perfect." her comment makes me smile, it's nice to hear someone compliment me. I barely got compliments in the past, it would always be you eat too much or you eat too little. In this society nothing is really accepted.

"My turn!" Chandler exclaims.

As Chandler is getting his measurements I look around the store. There were frames of alumni with the uniforms on, there's a lot of famous people in these uniforms. It's insane how this school could turn you into anyone you want to be. Every person that has left this school has become successful.

My eyes fall on a specific photo.

The old lady was on it but beside her stood Silvia.

And my mother.

My mother was wearing the Windsor Academy uniform.
That can't be true, Chandler and I were specifically told by our mother that she attended a normal public high school. What was she doing there?