Thomas' shoulders shook with sadness beneath my arm.

"The answer is simple," I said. "I shall buy Thomas a ball. One of his very own and you will not be allowed to play with it because it will be his. Surely you will not expect him to share."

Crystal blue eyes peeked through his fringe. "But Thomas will let me play."

"No. No I will not. You would not let me play with you, it is only fair."

I stood up, an ache creaking through my knees and took Thomas by the hand. "Come with me Thomas. Let's see about getting you that ball." I waited, giving Edward time to respond.

He studied the ball as he turned it around and around in both hands. "There is no need Lady Aunt. Thomas may play with me. I have invented a new game shall I teach you both it?"

"Show Thomas how to play and you can show me another time."

Edward ran off. Thomas tugged on the sleeve of my top.

"What is it Thomas?"

He raised his hand up and beckoned me to come closer to him.

"Has that man gone?" the youngest child whispered in my ear.

"What man? Robin?"

"The one with the red hair. I've seen him stalking the corridors long after dark. I saw him the night of the victory feast too. Hiding so that no-one saw him. But I did, and you vanished that night. Has he truly gone?"

"Yes. He's gone." It was as if his words had slapped me.

"Mistress Anne? Meg is ready for you now." Robin reappeared in the doorway.

"Thank you, Robin. I'll be right there," I gave Thomas a hug. "There is nothing for you to worry about. You do know the man with the red hair who came here earlier cannot possibly be the same man you are speaking about. He may look like him but there is no way it can be. Go on, go play with your brother." I hoped there was enough conviction in my voice to ease his worries because I certainly hadn't succeeded in convincing myself.

***

"I look stupid," I stood in front of a full-length mirror, examining the deep red and gold gown as Meg laced it at the back for me.

Meg's face peered round my shoulder. "You look beautiful; you look like yourself once more. There, how does that feel?"

My hands brushed down the smooth material where it clung to my curves. "Fine, thank you."

"Very well. Sit down and I shall braid your hair. I remember you as though it was only yesterday. One singular braid falling down your back. You should have had your hair covered but trying to get Lady Kathryn Farthing to wear a hennin was like asking the wind to change direction."

I sat down as she asked and began to feel her separating strands of my hair.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Have you seen anyone here, maybe after dark that shouldn't be?"

Meg thought before shaking her head, I caught her reflection in the mirror. "No-one that doesn't belong."

"That's ok then. It was just something that Thomas said. It bothered me."

"What has he said?"

"That he saw someone hiding on the night of the feast and that same person walks the corridors at night."