Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

(Lyrics used in this Chapter are from the song, "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride)

Rob and Justin were quickly to Britney’s side. She had pushed Savannah out of the way, but instead taken the bullet that Sean Clark had fired. Savannah was huddled next to her, sobbing, begging Britney to be okay.  

Justin was torn between comforting Savannah and trying his best to help Britney. Rob had called in two of the medics that were on-sight, they had an ambulance that they were bringing to get Britney. Rob picked up the sobbing Savannah, and she kicked at him, not willing to leave Britney’s side. 

Rob thrust her into Justin’s arms, “Get her out of here Justin!” He then continued to yell into his walkie-talkie. “Get security in their places. Get the kids and their families out of the venue first, then get everyone on Britney’s show out as fast as possible. Take them to the hotel. Send the opening acts on now, when they are done and everyone is out, we’ll announce that the concert is cancelled.” He saw Justin still holding Savannah, watching as the paramedics slid Britney onto a gurney, and immediately began taking her blood pressure and checking her pulse as they rushed her into the ambulance.  

“Justin!” Rob’s voice brought him back to reality. “Get Savannah inside!” 

“But. . .Britney. . .”

Rob put an understanding hand on his shoulder, “Justin, you need to get Savannah out of here. Britney would want you to! Get Felicia and wait by the door, I’ll get you as soon as possible, and we’ll head over to the hospital. No go!” He left Justin to follow his instructions as he ran back to the buses, still shouting into his walkie-talkie. 

Justin tightened his grip on the sobbing child in his arms, and started back toward the door they had all come out of. He couldn’t tell Savannah that everything would be alright. Nothing in her short life had ever been okay, and just when it seemed she would finally have someone to love her, her future was suddenly unsure. 

Inside, Felicia was already waiting by the door, “Justin? What’s wrong? What’s going on?” 

The shock inside of Justin was more than he could handle, and he slid to the floor next to the door, Savannah still crying in his lap.

“Savannah’s bleeding.” Felicia said softly, using the corner of her sleeve to press to Savannah’s cut. She touched Justin’s arm, and he winced at her touch. “Justin. . .Where is Britney?” She demanded. 

“She’s been shot. They’ve taken her to the hospital.” Justin managed before he too started to cry as Savannah. Burying his head in the child’s hair, both of them sobbed, praying for the woman they both loved. 

*****

Rob was true to his word, and had a car to get Justin, Savannah and Felicia within fifteen minutes.  He drove to the hospital, and for all the bodyguards calm exterior, they knew he was deeply shaken. He had been with Britney nearly everyday of her life since she was sixteen years old. He was supposed to protect her from things like this happening.  

His hands shook nearly as bad as Justin’s as the four of them made their way into the Emergency Room at the New Orleans Hospital.  Lynne had been called in New York, and would be there as soon as possible, along with Jamie Lynne, who had dropped everything to get to Louisiana for her sister. 

The hospital was kind enough to find a small waiting room for them to wait in for news, while the media had already started to flood the area. When a nurse saw the cut on Savannah’s head, she wanted to look at it, but Justin wouldn’t release the little girl.