Chapter Eleven

I didn’t realize I fell asleep until I had something nudge me awake. On instinct, I lunged my hand out at the intruder and was rewarded with a “Damnit! I was only tryin’ to be nice!” from an angry redneck.

I looked over and saw Daryl, holding his nose, “Jesus man, how does a small girl like you manage to land a hit on me?”

“Aw,” I say in false caring, putting my hand over my heart just to piss him off furthermore, “did the poor wittle wedneck get hurt?”

“Fuck off,” he says jokingly, then leaves still holding his nose. I laugh to myself, and then the familiar boy with the sheriff’s hat comes in, astonishment all over his face.

“What did you do to piss Daryl off?” Carl asks me.

“I punched him in the nose by accident,” I reply and shrug. He seemed to still be incredulous by my actions. We leave the room. He leads the way while I follow him. We go outside, where Hershel is walking on his crutches.

“I forgot to ask,” I whisper to him as we walk nearer to everyone, “what did happen to Hershel?”

“We had to cut off his leg after he got bit there,” Carl said. I didn’t say anything to him, because I started to get this bad feeling. It’s an animal thing, but I feel like something really bad is about to happen. I look around everywhere, and see nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone here was happy about Hershel’s recovery. Then why can’t I shake this bad feeling?

“Something wrong?” Carl asks me. I shift my gaze to him, and notice he’s a couple inches taller than me. I remember when it was the opposite, and now it seems the roles are switched. And we both are pretty short for our ages.

I was about to reply when I heard a deafening screech of metal hitting concrete. Suddenly, a whole herd of walkers came bursting through one of the gates.

“Everybody run!” I yell. I follow Carl over to his mom and Hershel and Beth. I look all around us, and see so many coming where we are. They just, appeared, out of nowhere. They weren’t there when I looked before. Everyone took out their guns at the same time it seemed, and started shooting the walkers. Daryl tossed me a gun while he used his bow. I caught the handgun and turned the safety off and began shooting at them. I hadn’t used a handgun in a while but it didn’t seem to affect me as I shot the walkers in their heads.

“Come on, we got to go!” Carl grabs my hand I wasn’t shooting with and took me along, following his mom. We all ran over to the stair and took them into the cell block. We ran inside until we were faced with more walkers. We turned the way we came and went through a different door. I locked the door so the walkers couldn’t come in. Carl and I walk ahead, checking for walkers in any of the rooms in the dark and dank halls. We heard the sirens blaring in our ears, and I couldn’t imagine how many more walkers were hearing it and coming here. We turn around a corner and Lori stops.

“What happened?” I ask Lori, she puts a hand to her stomach, and I already know.

“Were you bit?” Carl asks.

“No, no, no,” Lori says. She leans up against the wall, and I try to help her in any way I can. “I think the baby’s coming.”

“What?” I ask. I already know the answer, and these kinds of things can’t be controlled without any real doctors.

“Mom?” Carl asks worriedly. More walkers flood the hall and we are forced to leave.

“Come on, Lori, we have to go,” I say, trying to help her walk faster away from the walkers.

“Carl,” I say, “help her, give me your gun so I can fend them off.”

He nods and gives me his gun with the silencer. I use both of the guns with both hands and shoot at the walkers. They go down two by two, and my gun has no more ammo. I continue to use only my gun while we keep moving. Carl and Lori walk behind me, and I stay ahead, looking for a safe place to hide out for the moment.

Authors Note: So are any of you liking this so far?

~ Bane ~