Chapter Seventeen

My question stayed unanswered during the drive. I kept my eyes out the window so I could see if there were any landmarks that could tell me where we were. I recognized nothing.

Merle stopped the van, and a few other people started to crowd around the car. They knew Merle. They let us out of the car but tied our hands behind our backs with duct tape, Merle’s orders of course. We were taken to an abandoned house. Once inside, I saw the walls covered in different torturing devices like the ones you see on t.v.

“What are you going to do to us?” I ask one of the people guarding us. The man who was closest to me pushed me ahead, making me trip[ on my feet and told me not to ask questions, that the ‘Governor’ is the one in control of our fates now. Who was the Governor? I wanted to ask as i stood back up, but decided it was better to keep quiet.

Maggie was taken into a room and the door shut behind her guard.

“What are you going to do to her?” Glenn demands. Another guard socks him in the face and blood trails down his nose. I give an apologetic look to Glenn as he’s taken into a room with Merle. the guy who punched Glenn takes me into the last room in the hallway, and pushes me inside. There is a chair in the middle of the otherwise empty room.

I tug uselessly at my duct taped arms while I’m forced to sit down in the chair. My duct tape is ripped and the man holds both of my arms with his hands and re-duct tapes them to the arms of the wooden chair. He does the same with my legs.

As the man leaves, he says, “The governor will be here shortly.”

The door is shut, and there is only a little light where it comes in the window. Even if I could get free I still couldn’t fit through that window, if I were in my wolf form maybe, but the window was seven feet off the ground, and I can’t jump that high.

Think of an escape plan, Destiny! I shout in my head. My wolf form was my trump card at the moment, and I had to use it at the right time if I want to get out of here. The duct tape sticks to my arms, and My wolf form would be in pain if I tried to transform in an awkward position like this.

I hear Glenn scream from the room I was in. It was a pained scream, and then it was abruptly cut off by a thud, like he were punched in the gut.

What was Merle doing to Glenn?

I couldn’t hear anything from Maggie. I didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I hoped for Glenn’s sake it was a good thing.

My door opens, and a man comes in. He has brown hair and brown eyes, an average man. His demeanor was silent, but full of authority. Might this man be the so called ‘Governor’?

“I heard there was a little girl here, and I was curious. How does a little girl like you survive this long in the apocalypse?” He asks me.

I stay silent and give him a stare I like to call the, I don’t give a shit what you say to me.

“Aw, don’t look at me like that,” he says with a smile. He’s treating me like a little kid. “You know, you remind me of my daughter Penny. You’re what? 13?”

I still don’t answer him. He looks a little mad now. I smile the tiniest bit at this but force my lips back into a straight line.

He kneels down so his face is level with mine, “Look,” he grits his teeth, “Your parents here, haven’t told me anything, so I’m going to need you to do it for them.”

He thinks Glenn and Maggie are my parents, HA.

“Are you the governor?” I ask curiously. It’s a valid question.

The man smiles, “My people call me that since I’m the leader of this town I founded. I’ve made an entire city safe for my people.”

“I didnt ask you for your life story, Governor,” I say, looking behind the Governor at the door that was closed. He could easily think I was looking at him, but I wasn’t.

“You’re a rude girl, I must say,” he backs off and paces around the room. “I take you in to my city, and you don’t appreciate that I could’ve killed you by now. I dont think you want that, do you?”

I put on a brave mask to hide my fear of this guy actually killing me. He easily could, I’m tied to a chair and can’t fend for myself. The only reason he won’t do that is because he needs information from me. If I give information to him, he might either let Maggie and Glenn go, or kill them because they’re liabilities. The same thing with me. He’ll either kill me or let me go. I really doubt it’ll be the last idea.

“So what will you be benefitted by if I tell you where my group is?” I ask the governor, leaning back into the wooden chair I was bound to.

“I’ll know where to pick you and your group up to bring you back here, of course.”

“You’re lying,” I tell him. My wolf senses tell me something is off about his words.My wolf-y senses are tingling. Suddenly I have an image of me in my wolf form walking on walls like a spider.

Get it together Destiny! This is not the time for stupid thoughts like that.

“How do you figure that?” the Governor asks me.

“I just know,” I leave it at that. He nods like he doesn’t believe me, and I’m fine with that. He doesn’t need to know what I’m capable of.

There’s a silence between both of us. The Governor seems to be trying to intimidate me into answering his questions.

“You’re hair is white,” He notices. No, freaking, duh.

“Nooo,” I say sarcastically.

“Just an observation.”

More silence. Then the Governor stands up, and walks to the door.

“I’ll be right back,” he tells me as he shuts the door. I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. I heard growls from a walker in the hall.  Oh god, what’s he going to do now?

The door opens, and the Governor is holding a walker with a pole and leash stuck to the walker’s neck. I try to back my chair farther away from the walker but I can’t move. The Governor has a twisted smile on his face  and he let’s go of the walker and shuts the door.

Shit.