TWELVE - every little thing

TWELVE —— every little thing

Emotions were not something Bee Flynn dealt with very well

Emotions were not something Bee Flynn dealt with very well. Emotions, feelings, lingering thoughts. She tended to avoid them, and when she couldn't, she'd drive to a beach and surf until she was almost too exhausted to paddle back to shore.

But she had one question that was still left unanswered, and it played on a loop through her mind as she and JJ walked down the road, his arm still resting on her shoulders: What had changed over the school year? Somehow, this summer was completely different than the last, because now, the playful twinkle in JJ's eyes gave Bee butterflies and she found herself over-analyzing how he treated her.

Bee knew JJ wouldn't be enthusiastic about spending the night at his own house, so she guided him toward her home instead.

"I like spending time with you like this," JJ ventured, his voice confident yet unsure, a question disguised as a statement. When Bee stayed silent, trying to gather her thoughts, he added, "You know, when it's calm, and we're just chillin', just you and me."

Bee nodded, and that fluttering in her stomach resurfaced. "I like spending time with you, too, JJ."

He seemed to like Bee's answer, tightening his arm around her and holding onto her with purpose now. JJ was rarely a sentimental person. Of course, he had strong emotions, but they usually presented themselves in bouts of rage or with witty remarks, rather than soft kindness and honest vulnerability. Quiet moments like this were rare, a treasure that Bee found herself appreciating now more than ever before.

Finally, they arrived at Bee's house. Since the power was still out, they tried their best to not stumble up the stairs in the darkness of the night. JJ's arm had dropped from her shoulder when they entered the driveway, and now he trailed behind her as she walked through her front door. Neither of Bee's family members were in the kitchen, and she couldn't hear chatter in the living room, so she assumed they were in their respective bedrooms, either sleeping or getting ready to do so.

Bee led JJ to the small bathroom and gently pushed him so he was leaning against the counter. She used the flashlight from under the sink and leaned in close to get a better look at the damage inflicted upon his face. She had to remind herself to not let her eyes linger on his eyes or lips because he would definitely notice, what with how intently he was watching her. JJ's bottom lip was busted and swollen, blood smudged down his chin, but that was the worst of his injuries.

"Rafe totally rocked your shit," Bee teased, glad he was okay and that Rafe apparently couldn't pack a decent punch.

"No way, Bee," JJ disagreed, turning his head to look at himself in the mirror. "Dude can barely punch to save his live."

"Tell that to your lip," Bee grinned, looking into his eyes. "Kidding, you're right. I could've done more damage in the fifth grade."

And then all at once, she was suddenly very aware of how close they were standing. JJ's breaths brushed over her cheeks and she had do fight to keep her own breathing under control. His eyes glanced at Bee's lips and his hands were on her arms now. The pressure of his fingers was delicate, though his callouses were rough in contrast.