Chapter 24-Small Town After All

NATALIE

I wake up to the unusual sound of pots and pans clanking together downstairs.

It almost scared me. I'd gotten used to being the only one in the house for nearly a month.

I was proud of the things my mother did, the time she dedicated to the church, God, and people in need...but sometimes I couldn't help but wish she'd dedicate more of her time to me. Maybe then, I wouldn't feel like a stranger in my own house.

I yawned and pulled myself out of bed. I slipped on my bunny slippers and trotted softly over to the door, pulling it open and stepping out. I froze as I heard my mother talking to someone. I listened closely for the other person to say something before a familiar male voice floated through my ears.

Joe.

How could I forget about him?

I mentally rolled my eyes.

I'd spent four dreadful hours listening to him and my mother recount their missionary trip.

And flirt.

My mother's bubbly voice still rang in my ears.

I huffed a breath and closed my bedroom door, slowly shuffling down the stairs before awkwardly standing in the kitchen doorway.

I cleared my throat a bit, interrupting my mother's school girl giggling.

"Honey!" She exclaimed, smiling. "I'm making breakfast for Joe. Would you like some?"

For Joe.

Of course.

She never cooked, but anything for Joe right?

"No, I'm just going to have some fruit."

I turned toward the fridge, jerking it open.

"Sleep well?" Joe spoke up from the kitchen barstool that he sat at.

"Wonderfully. How was the guest room?" I asked, pulling out some strawberries and a banana. I shut the refrigerator door.

"Very cozy," he said nodding and I heard my mother stifle a giggle.

I ignored it.

"Good," I said glancing over my shoulder at him, giving him a fake smile.

I felt bad for having these rude thoughts about my mother, and even Joe, but I just couldn't help it.

I sat the fruit down on the counter and turned toward the cupboard, reaching for a mug before pouring a hot cup of coffee. I glanced around for the sugar jar before spotting it on the table, empty. I walked silently over to the pantry, my hand lingering on the knob as my thoughts wandered back to what had happened here the night before. I jerked it open and bit my lip before silently wincing, bringing a hand to my swollen bottom lip.

Trevor's little game.

I couldn't stop the blush from creeping up my face at the thought of it.

I reached for the sugar bag, snatching it off the high shelf before shutting the pantry. I walked over to the table and filled the jar before grabbing my cup of coffee and stirring in two scoops.

"Any plans for the day?" My mother asked, turning off the stove and rubbing her hands down her apron. I started to answer only to have her speak up again. "Because if not, I was going to take Joe down to the church to meet the committee and then maybe to lunch. We wouldn't mind having you at all."

"Actually, I had a few plans for today. I have some errands to run," I said tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, hoping she wouldn't force me into going with them.