Paralysis (Underground Levi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

Levi reached up with his free hand and brushed your hair back from your face. "Thank you," he whispered.

Your eyes softened.

After savoring your loving gaze for a few moments more, he said, "I'll send a message to Farran – explain that it was all a misunderstanding. As monstrous as he is, he's also a businessman. He knows that a war with us would hurt him, too."

Levi's voice became more delicate as he continued, "The gloriella that they gave you is an extremely rare poison. I'm surprised Farran just handed it out to grunts like that. It takes away your ability to move while still allowing you to feel. But once the effects wear off, I promise you'll be fine." He paused, before adding hesitantly, "You still have a few hours until then. Do you...want me to stay with you?"

Yes.

Levi loosed a breath. "Okay, um..." He crawled up next to you, resting his back against the headboard. Then he pulled you into his lap, leaning your head on his shoulder. He tilted your chin so he could see your eyes. "Is this okay?" he asked, a faint blush dusting his cheeks.

If you could have laughed, you would have. You and Levi had been together for a while now, and you had done much more than cuddle, but he still got nervous from time to time. You found it adorable, especially since he was usually so stoic.

You blinked once, signaling that your current position was fine. Even though you couldn't return his embrace, you could still feel his powerful body wrapped protectively around yours. You could still smell him – a familiar mix of black tea and clean breezes. You could still hear his heart beating beneath his chest, as well as his breath next to your ear. All of it calmed the panic that had consumed your mind since the gloriella first took effect.

Levi was here. Levi would keep you safe.

"Do you need anything else?" he asked.

Yes.

"Okay...I'm not really sure how to figure out..." He trailed off as you blinked intently at him.

Yes.

"Yes? Tch, what's that supposed to mean? I didn't even suggest anything yet."

Yes.

"Why are you...?" His brow furrowed as he pieced it together. "Do you...do you want me to keep talking?"

Yes.

He sighed. "Okay. Well...do you want me to say anything specific?"

No.

"Um, alright." Levi swallowed as he searched for something to talk about.

He normally didn't say much, so you knew that your request must have felt strange for him. You held his gaze, trying to convey that you understood, and that you really didn't care what he said. You just wanted to hear his voice.

Levi nodded, and he began speaking to you. He talked about a lot of different things. While some topics were random and casual, some were more personal – like his life before you met, or his memories of you. You hung on every word, taking comfort from the sound of his voice – his deep, cold voice that softened only for you.

Eventually, his words became hoarse with the strain of talking for so long, but he didn't stop. He also never looked away from you, not once. You couldn't tell if he did so in case you wanted to blink at him, or if he had another reason.

Slowly – so slowly that you didn't recognize it at first – you began to regain control of your body. The accompanying sensation felt almost like the numbness that had consumed you as the gloriella took effect. With your arms still tingling, you slid them around Levi and hugged him. Then you leaned up to kiss his cheek.

"Thank you," you whispered.

Levi's eyes widened slightly at your actions. "Yeah, well..." he mumbled sheepishly, "...are you back to normal now?"

"Almost." You closed your eyes and snuggled into his shoulder. "But can we stay here for a little while longer?"

"Of course," Levi murmured. He began rubbing soothing circles on your back, and you sighed at the feeling.

It had been a long night, and now that the gloriella had worn off, you realized just how exhausted you were. But before you let yourself rest, there was something you felt you had to say – something that couldn't wait until morning.

"Levi..." you began softly, "I know we kind of went over this earlier, but now that I can actually talk, I want to tell you..." You nuzzled your face lovingly into his neck before continuing, "I trust you, Levi. I know you'd never do anything to hurt me. And I'm really glad that you found me in that alley. You're the only person I would have wanted to find me, when I was vulnerable like that..." You pressed a kiss to his bare skin. "You're the only one I would have felt safe with."

His breath caught, but Levi said nothing. Instead, he held you closer, resting his cheek on the top of your head.

When he finally did speak, his voice still sounded tight. But this time, it wasn't because he had talked too much. "I'll never let anything happen to you, (f/n)," he murmured. "I promise."

You nodded against him. You would've known it was true, even if he hadn't said it.

Levi tenderly pressed his lips to your head before returning to his original position. After a few minutes, you could sense yourself starting to doze in his arms.

"Levi?" you hummed wearily.

"Hmm?"

"Is it okay if I sleep on you?"

Levi was silent for a moment. Then you felt his fingers gently stroke your hair. "Yeah, brat," he muttered, his voice soft despite his sharp words. "Go ahead."

The corner of your mouth twitched upward, "Thanks," you mumbled inaudibly before your body went limp for the second time tonight. Except now, you were choosing to give up that control, allowing yourself to be vulnerable in the only place you knew you were safe – with the one person you trusted completely.