Chapter 19

Image: Sullivan
--------------------

     Stacy rechecked herself in the mirror, hands moving down her sides to smooth out the little black dress she'd picked out.  On her way out of the bedroom she grabbed a pair of open toed heels from the closet. I'd been a month since she'd moved in with Lucas. The twins had decided to take over the apartment and Greg had moved into the attic convert to get away from 'the disgusting display of sexual lust' as he liked to call it. Though Stacy had a feeling he'd gotten it from Alex. She paused on the last step to pull on her heels, flashing Lucas a smile. "Ready?" she asked teasingly as she grabbed her purse.

     She paused when Lucas reached out to run a loose strand of hair through his fingers. "I like it better down." Stacy had swept it up into a messy bun after curling it; causing the strands she'd left lose to have a slight wave to them.
     "I know. More fun to take out later though."
     Lucas let out a laugh as he opened the door. "I'm sure that's what you had planned from the beginning."
     "You never know! So, where are we going anyway?"
     "It's a surprise." He said as he led her to the truck, opening the door to help her in. "Though I know you'll love it. We're having a date dinner after."
     The drive into the city passed by quickly, Stacy asking the whole way what Lucas was up to. She nearly started crying when she found where Lucas had brought her. The ballet for Romeo and Juliet. She didn't know how he knew she'd started missing ballet so much while back home.  "Oh, Lucas." She breathed as she turned toward him, arms going around his neck to kiss him. Lucas rested his hand on the small of her back. They left the car to the valet when they pulled up to the doors, Lucas placing his hand around her waist as they started inside. Stacy knew she shouldn't have been surprised when they were not only lead to a private box, but given V.I.P. treatment. Stacy accepted her white wine and moved to take her seat. Lucas sat next to her, setting his glass down on the small table between the seats. "Thank you for this Lucas."
     "You don't have to. I'd have preferred to get you back onto the stage though." He said with a small frown.
     Stacy let out a small laugh. "As much as I love the thought, I can't. For a couple reasons. We'd have to move here to the city for me to be able to. Greg would have to come because I would never leave him with Alex. And my mom..." Stacy fell silent and sighed a little. It sounded like she was making excuses. Maybe she was. She hadn't danced in over half a year. Not even exercises or practicing. She was out of shape and she knew no one would hire her at her current weight. Even with her background. "I actually had an idea going, but...I don't really know anything about running a business."
     Lucas raised a brow, opening his mouth only to fall silent when the orchestra started their warm up to the ballet. Lucas' eyes wandered from the program in his hand to Stacy. She'd sat forward in her seat, hands resting on the railing as she became absorbed in the show as it started. Lucas rested his elbow on the arm of his chair, chin resting on his fist as he watched her. At one point her knees pressed into the low wall, chin resting on her hands. He knew he'd never be able to tell her he'd liked the show. If only because he'd been watching her instead of the ballet the whole time. Just watching her so absorbed in the program made his chest ache with need. A need to touch her, to bury her in his arms and lose himself. Lucas looked away, a slow breath leaving him as his eyes closed. Never once had he thought he'd feel this way about someone; that he'd end up loving someone enough to rethink how he lived his life or that it needed to change. Stacy brought that out. He started to realize why Frank had chosen Monika. Had thrown everything away for a mortal woman.
     Lucas stood when Stacy did, clapping as if on autopilot. As much as he wanted to, it wasn't that easy for him to give up everything for her. Not like it had been before he'd made his deal with Morningstar. There was too much to it now, too much which held him in its claws like a cage. Stacy smiled as she took his hand and started to walk with him to the exit. When they stepped outside and stood waiting for their car, Lucas pulled Stacy into his arms. His arms slid around her waist as he leaned in to capture her lips. Stacy was caught by surprise, but it didn't take her long to respond to him. Arms slid around his neck, body pressing up against his. Stacy was breathless as she leaned back and smiled up at him. "Where to now?" she asked as she reached up to straighten the tie he wore.
     Lucas' fingers found a stand of hair, smiling as he let it moved over his fingers like it had earlier in the evening. "Dinner at Il ya L'Amour." He said as he moved his hands to her upper arms and started to rub lightly. "Are you cold?"
     "No, I'm fine."
     They rode to the restaurant in affectionate silence, Lucas' hand in Stacy's so he could lift it to plant light kisses as he drove. Once again Lucas opted for valet parking, leading Stacy into the restaurant. They were led to a window seat when they reached the penthouse restaurant and after their orders were taken Lucas finally spoke something other than small talk. "Earlier you said you had an idea for a business?"
     "What? Oh well, it's nothing big really. In fact I should probably just leave it."
     "I'd still like to hear it."
     Stacy hesitated, chewing lightly on her bottom lip. "I was thinking about opening a dance studio in town. My mother used to have to drive me into the city for my classes. I thought...maybe if there was one in town it'd be fairly popular."
      Lucas gave a small nod as he listened to her, sitting up when their food was set in front of them. "I think it's a good idea."
     Stacy stilled in lifting her fork, eyes turning to his. "Really? It doesn't matter anyway. I'm really not good at the business side of things. And I doubt anyone would even consider me for a loan right now."
     Lucas raised a brow as he listened to her, a small chuckle leaving him. "Stacy, I'll help. It does sound like a good business move and I invest in businesses all the time."
     "Lucas, I couldn't ask you to that for me. I'd feel like I'm using you or something."
     "I'm offering to help you. I wouldn't have offered if I didn't believe in it."
Stacy hesitated as she watched him. "Fine, but I'm going to pay you back. I'm treating this like a loan. And before you say no or that I don't have to, I'm going to anyway. Because I wouldn't feel right otherwise."
     Lucas sat watching her a moment before giving a reluctant nod. "Very well." He said with a small snort and a roll of his eyes.
     "You gave in way to easy." She said with a small frown drawing a laugh from Lucas.
     "Stacy, I've learned there is no point in fighting with you when you've set your mind to something."
     Stacy laughed a little. "Well, I'm so sorry for being so difficult." She made sure to add a teasing note to her voice, drawing a small laugh from him.
They both fell silent as they ate, waiting until they finished before they spoke again. "Desert?" They make an amazing Tiramisu."
     Stacy hesitated frowning as she thought. "No, I don't think I can." She said with a small groan. "No more please."
     Lucas chuckled as he waved off the waiter with a small shake of his head. "Are you ready then?" he asked as he started to stand. Stacy nodded, smiling when Lucas moved to help her stand.
She gave a small laugh, shaking her head as she slipped her hand into his. "You're just as awkward on dates as when we first went."
Lucas frowned a little as he walked with her toward the elevator. "Awkward? I wasn't awkward on our first date."
     Stacy gave him a look that spoke volumes."Really? Maybe. Though I will admit our dates have been going better." she said with a quiet laugh as stepped into the elevator. "But you know, people usually have small talks and stuff on dates." she slipped her arm through his and leaned into him.
      "It's okay though. I like the way you are." she said with a smile.