"I will do my best." Aragorn said.

*

Thranduil walked with Legolas through the hallways. "Estel said there were Spiders halfway between our road and the mountains. They are getting bolder again."

"Should I double the patrols?"

"Yes, we cannot risk them coming so close again. Estel plans to head South. He is hunting a creature that was following Bilbo's path. The creature was seeking something Bilbo stole from Goblin Town."

"Ah, so it was assumed he came through here."

"Yes."

Legolas frowned. "Nothing has been seen of a strange creature."

"Mirkwood is a large place, las."

"No but… surely the trees would have said something."

"They have become quieter lately. They speak when frightened and little else. Those in our realm still speak, but that is only because they are not as threatened… yet." Thranduil added as an afterthought.

"Yes but you hear reports of other creatures."

"Not ones like this." Thranduil said. "Besides, no one saw Bilbo either. If the two are akin, who's to say they would see this… Gollum… either?"

"True." Legolas said. "So what are we to do?"

"Help Estel. I would send others with him but… he is a good enough tracker on his own, and has a less chance of being caught on his own as well. So instead we shall supply him and escort him to our border. Unless you wish to accompany him?"

Legolas hesitated. "I would… but I feel more strongly that I am needed here, especially with the news he brought us."

"Maer, he already refused your company."

Legolas blinked as he stopped walking in shock. He then hurried down the hall after his father who had not stopped. "What? Then why did you mention it to me?"

Thranduil shrugged. "I was laying out your options. I was not sure what you would decide, and thought we might could convince Estel otherwise had you chosen to go."

Legolas sighed. "You are a conundrum, you know that?"

Thranduil only raised an eyebrow and shrugged.

Early/Mid March 3018 TA

Estel showed up periodically for the next eight years. He still hunted the same creature, and looked more haggard as the years went by. At the same time, the woods darkened even more. The Spiders and Orcs grew bold once more, but the patrols usually caught them before anything worse happened. The royal family had even less time together as their duty took them far longer and stretched from day to day.

When two of them happened to be free, more than likely the third was not. As it was, this time it was Almiel and Thranduil, but Legolas was gone on patrol. They were outside standing under the shade of the trees looking up at the stars. "At least the light lasts here." Almiel said.

"I do not expect it to last. The whispers are growing darker." Thranduil said leaning against a tree.

"No, but while it lasts it is nice." Almiel said smiling.

"Yes…" They stood there quiet for a long while. Then both of them cocked their heads. "What…?"

"They don't like whatever it is."

"A man and a screaming creature?"

"Ah Estel must have found Gollum." Almiel ended. "They have only now entered the trees. It will take them a while yet to find us."

"Mmm, we shall send a message to Legolas to stay out there until they are found. I have a feeling that Gollum is quite a handful to manage."

"Even more than yourself?"

"If that is possible, yes."

March 21 3018 TA

It was yet a few weeks before Estel brought Gollum in, surrounded by Legolas' patrol. He appeared weary. Thranduil's eyes trailed the creature with some measure of pity. The creature looked absolutely miserable. "Unbind him."

"I do not think that would be best." Estel said. "As soon as you do he shall begin wailing."

Thranduil cocked his head at the creature who was glaring furiously at the Elvenking. It did seem his eyes were full of nothing but hate. "What would you have me do then?"

"Keep him here until Gandalf comes. He is on his way, it should not be long. Your halls are far safer than anywhere nearby I could take him."

Thranduil remained quiet for a long moment, staring at the creature. He glanced at his daughter. Almiel looked caught between shock and pity. It is the most fearful creature I have ever… even more than the Nazgȗl. They fed on fear but he… he is what they feed on.

Now made even more hesitant by his daughter's words, Thranduil turned his gaze back to Gollum with hesitant eyes. "Please, I know its not an ideal thing to be stuck with, but I need somewhere to leave him."

Gollum glared up at Estel then with hateful eyes. It will not be for long. Thranduil told himself. "So be it. Legolas, take him. Will you at least spend the night?"

"No," Estel answered. "I must leave." Without much further ado, he bowed and turned to leave the hall. Thranduil watched him go with sad eyes, the man carried a heavy burden yet. Legolas held Gollum still who had fruitlessly attempted to get away from his new guardian that looked smaller than the previous one. Now he only sulked on the end on his rope, staying as far away from Legolas as he could.

"Where shall I take him?"

"Somewhere he cannot escape from." Thranduil said. "Keep three guards on him. We do not want a repeat."

Legolas nodded. "Come." He said to Gollum and began walking. Gollum sat where he was. Legolas rolled his eyes. "Your resistance is not helping. You can either walk to your room, or you shall be dragged or carried." Gollum slowly began walking, looking resentful of his situation.

Be as gentle as you can. Almiel said. I do not think fate has been kind to him.

Legolas glanced at her and nodded again. As you say. He did not lead Gollum at a horrible pace. And he changed his mind at the last minute and led him to a different cell other than the dungeons. He led Gollum inside. He turned and inspected the creature. He reached down and removed the gag quickly before Gollum could register it. "Do you require anything to eat?"

Gollum looked up at him, perhaps curious. "We hungry, yessss…"

Legolas cocked his head. "Give him way bread." He said and then glanced back at Gollum. "And give him water as well."

He walked out of the room. "Put three guards on him. For now stay outside the room. If he wails ignore him. Feed him once a day until Gandalf gets here."

Almiel was waiting in the hallway. She had a strange look on her face. "What is it?" He asked her.

"I…" She started before being seemingly unable to continue.

"Almiel?"

She looked at him. "I am… I don't like what I'm feeling from him."

"Should we have kept him here?"

"It's not him, its what he fears."

"What does he fear?"

"He has been in the clutches of the Enemy… He was tortured in his dungeons for years."

"So he was with-."

"Yes, the same as our mother." Almiel ended.

A feeling of dread came over them both.

A/N: These dates are approximated from the information in the Appendix of LotR. :)