Chapter 41

c.2810 TA

They ran for their lives out of the fortress. Gandalf whistled for their horses and soon they came galloping out of the woods. Almiel who was frighteningly quiet grabbed the two Elves and put them on her horse. Almiel then jumped onto Condu as Gandalf mounted his own horse with Thrain in front of him. They were less than a mile away when Almiel finally spoke. "They have sent patrols after us." Gandalf muttered into his beard and spoke to both horses to move faster. Almiel, however, told her horse to stop. Gandalf wondered why until he almost ran into a man in front of him.

"Radagast! What are you doing here?" Gandalf asked. Sure enough, Radagast the Brown was standing in front of them.

"I heard you were here from my forest friends and knew what you might be up to. Off in Dol Gulder were you?"

"Yes, and now we have someone on our tail."

"Orcs," Almiel said quietly.

Radagast saw her and smiled, "Indeed, I had heard the Princess of Mirkwood was with you Gandalf, but on my life I never expected it to be true. No offense to the young Princess of course." He said bowing quickly to Almiel who smiled. Gandalf noted in his mind that it was a smile, she did not look like she was about to die, but that she did looked wearier than she should have.

"I would not have either. But for now, there are Orcs on our tail and we are in need of escape." Gandalf replied.

"I know. We are waiting."

"For what?" Radagast simply beamed and bounced on his heels slightly. Gandalf looked slightly put off, but Almiel smiled again. Gandalf turned as he heard the pounding of feet behind them. Almiel did not seem concerned.

"Do not worry," she said. Gandalf sighed. The Orcs were moving quite fast and were closing in on them. They waited a precious few more minutes and the Orcs were quite close.

"Radagast…" Gandalf said, but suddenly Almiel glanced up and grinned. She pushed her horse forward into a clearing and Gandalf heard a peal of laughter. He pushed his horse as well and Radagast followed. "I should have known, but what of our horses?" He asked Radagast.

"They will come as well." Gandalf looked surprised, but got off his horse and scrambled onto the back of the Eagle. Almiel had already done so and Radagast was handing her the two Elven prisoners. Radagast then handed Gandalf Thrain, and the Eagle he was on took off. Gandalf noted that two Eagles were both clutching two horses in their talons, but for whatever reason, though he suspected Almiel had something to do with it, they were calm in the Eagles' clutches.

Now with five Eagles in the air and disgruntled Orcs on the ground, Gandalf caught Almiel's attention. Where should we land?

Lórien, she answered.

Gandalf appeared confused. Why not your father's halls? He asked.

These Elves need somewhere to heal, and while my father's halls would do well enough, they would still be reminded of Dol Gulder because it is underground. They deserve somewhere they can see the stars. Besides, Lórien is closer.

So it was that when the Eagle carrying Gandalf asked where he should land, Gandalf answered Lórien. It did not take long, and it was rather soothing with the land flying beneath them and the gentle flapping of the Eagles' wings. When they arrived at the borders of the Lady's realm, they thanked the Eagles for the ride. The Eagle who carried Almiel approached her and touched his beak to her face.

"Your father once helped one of us, and I feel his spirit in you as well as something more. I know not what it is, nor will I ask, but should one of your kin need us we will be there. May the air be ever swift under your wings." Almiel inclined her head and the Eagle took off following the rest of his kin.

"Well, well, well, it seems that wherever yonder Princess goes, those that meet her fall under her spell." Almiel turned and grinned.

"Not all the time," she said.

"Deny what you like, I still say that they do."

"You did not, young Marchwarden." Gandalf interrupted. Almiel raised an eyebrow, but looked at the figure leaning against the tree. He was well camouflaged, wearing the grey of the Lórien marchwardens and was wrapped in the shadow of the tree itself. Radagast looked between all of them and sighed.

"Well, I would like to arrive in the city sometime today, so if you will excuse me, whether the Princess entrances everyone in her path can be discussed whether I am here or not. It can also be discussed on the way, and I have matters to speak of with the Lady of this wood." He said and began walking toward the city. Almiel giggled and then ran to Haldir who caught her and spun her once.

"I was not expecting you." He said.

"It was not exactly planned." She admitted. "Come, we have Elves and one Dwarf that must be made healthy." Haldir looked at her confused and then at the ex-prisoners just now waking up again.

"Where did you…?" He began asking then he stopped. He must have read the answer in their bond, or perhaps the circumstances, but regardless he said nothing.

"See to the Elves," Almiel said quietly. Gandalf was already leaning over Thrain, and Almiel knew he had only minutes in which left to live. Haldir followed her instructions and she bent over the Dwarf.

"It's bright again," the Dwarf said.

"Aye," Gandalf said. "You are free now."

"Free… good… that's good. But… where?"

"You are in the forest under the stars, Master Dwarf." Almiel answered.

"Ugh… I wish I could be in Erebor… see its glory…"

"Its glory will be restored, you need not worry." Almiel said. The Dwarf began to try to speak again, but Almiel pressed her fingers to his lips and began singing. She had learned songs of Erebor long ago while it still stood. As she sang, she used her gift to feed the words. Thrain's eyes grew wide with wonder as he saw the former glory of his kingdom before him.

"Erebor…" Thrain said, eyes now filling with tears. "Tell my son… I wish him all the luck in the world, but that… that…"

"You are already proud of him." Gandalf finished for him, having been silently told the words by Almiel who was still singing. Thrain looked content, and he fell unconscious with Almiel's dreams of Erebor filling his mind. Dreams of Erebor with Thorin sitting on the throne, the Arkenstone glimmering above him.

It was then that Thrain, King Under the Mountain, died.