He also knew she wanted Minho to take the throne and take care of his brother, but...

Minho knew Yongbok would have to learn how to shoulder the responsibility.

What he didn't know was her sudden plan to assassinate the king. No, he didn't know why his mother suddenly left. No, he didn't know why she held such a grudge toward him. And no, he didn't know why he decided to get in between the two. He was as much in the dark as the king and everyone else. But he trusted his mother enough to endure this.

"Whatever you have in mind, your Majesty," Minho cleared his throat, glaring back at the king. "Do it quick."

The officials all burst out into overlapping arguments- accusing Minho, stating theories on where the queen could be, stating punishments on the older prince. One or two gave him sympathetic glances but were drowned out by the rest of the cabinet's anger.

But then it all happened so fast. The king called for the guards, taking him away. He didn't resist. What for anyway? They already caught him, and they knew what they wanted to do with him.

He was just glad his mother got to the ship by now- that the king couldn't reach her in the West.

He waited in the prison until nightfall. He couldn't sleep, didn't think. Only kept to himself when the guards turned to him. 

No one helped- and he didn't expect anyone to. Defying the king was worse than death. It didn't matter if Minho was the crown prince or some peasant. When it came to the king's anger, it was when they were all equal.

He was glad that Yongbok didn't have to see him like this- that he had no part and hopefully they'll leave him alone.

But to imagine a prince like him in prison- the king and officials discussing his treason. Everyone thought highly of him- Lee Minho, the supposed crown prince? To do something like this?

Minho almost felt shame. Not because he saved his mother- but for being caught.

"Your highness." Minho blinks when a guard cuts the rope tying the cell door, gesturing him to sit up. Minho recognizes the person standing behind the guard- one of the generals, father of one of the servant boys in the castle- Chan, Minho thinks his name was. "It's time."

Minho nods- he knew he didn't need to ask. He only stood, shifting his wrists tied behind his back as the guard and general led him outside.

It was dark out- around the time when everyone had gone home and fallen asleep except for the few guards patrolling the place.

Even so, no one dared to take another glance at them, walking toward the South Gate where they could slip out of town easily.

"I'll take it from here," The general says, nodding to the guard leading Minho. "Go back to your post."

With another nod, he left Minho and the general alone, heading toward the woods and further into the mountains surrounding the town.

"Are you scared?"

Minho glances back at the general. Was he scared? Walking further into the forest, walking farther from his home, his family, his future. All of that would disappear here, and it would be silenced by the darkness, swallowed by the trees. To everyone, he would be a ghost, a rumor.

No one would know, no one would miss him.  

So- was he scared?

Absolutely.

"Stop here."

Minho did.

"Kneel."

Minho kneeled.