001

Shiho sighed as she looks outside the window. Three long years had passed since she left Beika. She travelled abroad right after she accepted the FBI’s offer, not even bothering to give a second glance to anyone, for fear of having second thoughts.

She sighed again, for the nth time, and smiled sadly after. ‘I shouldn’t be feeling this way. Everything’s back to normal now.’

As much as she wanted to gather news about them, about him, she restrained herself. She deactivated all her social accounts, she barely watch the television or even listen to the news. She just knew she will hear news about him, and it will just beak her heart.

He’s happy now. No need to barge in his life again.’

She watched the passing cars from the window of her apartment. It was always a busy day in New York.

A knock on the door startles her.

“Hailey?” a voice asks. It was her friend, Geneva. She was staying at the flat next to hers.

She still has trouble hearing her alias. Shinoba Hailey. An exchange student from Japan. Fake.

“Yes?”

“Are you coming? Today’s the celebration at school for your win in the Knowledge cup.”

“Right, just a moment.” She answered as she prepares herself for what’s to come.

***

“Is it just me, or there are a lot more people today? And what’s with those cameras?” she asked, irritated. She hates this kind of attention.

“Of course! This is a rare moment! You won the Knowledge cup in all of New York! That’s something to brag about!” Geneva answered as she pulled her to the crowd.

Shiho has a bad feeling about this.

“Ahhh! There you are!” The dean spotted them. “Shinoba Hailey, everyone! The winner of the golden Knowledge cup!”

To her annoyance, the dean pulled her to the center of the stage. She stared emotionlessly at everyone.

“This is the first time our school has this entry to the Knowledge cup! And guys, this is exciting! We’re moving to the next challenge! We are going to the World Knowledge Cup, all thanks to this student right here, Miss Hailey!”

The crowd roared and Shiho couldn’t believe her ears.

What?’

“What do you mean?” she asked, her voice clearly showing confusion.

“We’re going to Japan for the annual World Knowledge Cup!”

Oh, damn.’

***