Chapter one

Camilla POV

When I was young, I always believed in fairytales. I would meet my Prince Charming, find my dream job, have my little ones, and live happily ever after.

I even got to live one of my dreams. Well, it used to be one of my dreams, but now I wish I never had the job. I am a nurse.

I know you're wondering what the big deal is. I really love my it, but few of the patients aren't really nice. I honestly believe its because I'm black. Yes, I am black. I am originally from Africa, but relocated to Alameda, California when a job opportunity was available.

This part of California practiced racism big time. Any single mistakes I made, the patients made a big deal of it. Lord help me!

"Are you even listening to me?" A blonde young woman screamed at my face and I rolled my eyes pissed off.

She had been on my case ever since I started working here.

Guess what my fault is this time. I hugged her son. He was crying and didn't want to take the injection the doctor instructed me to give him. After injecting him, I hugged him and soothed him with words, but then his irritation of a mother walked in.

"Camilla or whatever your name is, if you ever touch my son with those illegal hands of yours I will throw you into the shit pit your drug dealer friends or family are.....". she continued shouting as I walked to my desk keeping my register in a place.

This woman can't rip it into pieces. Yes, she has done it once.

I don't blame her for disliking me, or should I call it hate? Over here, we blacks are involved in illegal activities like selling hard drugs, creating havoc and so on, but I could never stoop so low to indulge in such activities.

I look around to see a lot of stares directed at me and Mrs.Olivia. Sad eyes probably feeling my pain, and the happy eyes enjoying what Mrs.Olivia was putting me through.

"Ma'am, you are creating a scene and making a lot of irrelevant noises which are disturbing the patients. You probably don't know what you look like. Maybe I should enlighten you. You look like cr...." I was cut short as I felt a sharp pain on my left cheek.

Before I could pull her fake hair from her head, the guards intervened dragging her out giving me the expression of regret for not intervening sooner.

I cleaned the tears from eyes, because she was definitely not worth my tears.

"Hi bitch." I looked up to see the person I love the most, my best friend Ashley.

I blinked my eyes continuously so she wouldn't suspect anything before looking at her fully.

"Ash." I smile at her.

She's white, but is nothing like Mrs. Olivia. Ever since I came to California three years ago, she's had my back and helped me whenever I needed anything.

I have been packed into her apartment for the last three month after she found out where I was living. The main center of criminals, but that was my only option; and it was cheap.

"Why is there a mark on your face?" She asked checking my face intensely.

Damn, she's really good.

"Nothing much, what are you hiding? " I changed the topic.

Ash and Mrs. Olivia were not the best of friends and she can easily rip Mrs. Olivia's lungs if she wanted.

"Nice try. I am going to let it go for now." She assured me furrowing her eye brow.

"Happy birthday Cam." She whisper-screamed and handed me a wrapped box.

To be honest, I forgot today was my birthday. Ever since my ex-boyfriend went to jail, July was no longer my favorite month.

He was caught with drugs and harassed a policeman when he was arrested, which didn't help his case. I'm glad I broke up with him before he was arrested. His girlfriend or family can assist him with their money.

I'm barely living the life I dreamt of and assisting a imprisoned boyfriend is not on my bucket list.

"Thanks Ash." I hugged her unwrapping my gift.

Oh My . She bought me and iPhone 5s

"You need to upgrade from that old phone you are using. It can't even browse, that's not a phone it's trash." She did not even try to hide her disdain for my baby.

She was right though. When last did I go on my social pages? Three years ago.

But my love for Shawn Mendes, the Canadian musician can never go away. I made sure Ash downloaded all his latest music and guess what? She's an hardcore fan of Shawn too.

"At least this baby can receive calls." I wiggle my now old phone at her face as she snorts at my response.

"Whatever. I installed all the social medias and wattpad, a novel reading app, since you love reading books in your free time." She beamed as I turned on my new phone.

We talked a little before she headed to her desk when a doctor sent her a register to fill for a patient.

My name is Camilla Jones, I am an African light skinned girl. I am twenty-three years old today. I have two siblings and have had an extreme love for ice cream ever since I was introduced at the age of two.

My best friend, Ashley Raul, is the best person anyone could ever wish for. I have two jobs. A nurse and babysitter sometimes. Since I am always payed monthly, I babysit to make money to retain myself before the month ends.

Author note

Hey guys... thanks for giving my book a chance
My former account was deactivated so I had to start from the beginning
I hope you guys love my book