Renaissance

Chapter One: Renaissance 

In the beginning, Aeacus created the sky and the land. From the sky He rained water, so it might bring life, and upon the land He grew plants and trees to breathe air into the world. And  he created the sun to bring light during the day and two moons to rule the night.

From The Book of Origins. Chapter 1: Verses 1-3

The prisoner did not need a mirror to know what effects captivity had ravaged upon him. His face was tired and drawn while the rest of his body was thin through malnourishment, with flesh hanging from a torso that had been deprived of nutrients. The expression on his visitor's face had revealed more than any mirror could- that Reverend Professor Peleus was a shadow of his former self. Yet his resolve remained as strong as ever. 

He was not sure how long he had been incarcerated. He thought he may have counted seventeen cycles of the large moon through the skylight in his cell but the phases of the small moon changed much faster and measured much shorter time periods. He could not be certain that a miscounting of the two had led him to a false conclusion.

"It's good to see you, Reverend Professor." The visitor struggled to hide the emotion in his voice.

"It is good to see you too Thanatos." Peleus smiled at his protege. "Please, you don't have to use the title Reverend. You know that I was never that comfortable with it. Besides, I'm in here for heresy."

Thanatos smiled, recalling how his mentor had often chastised students who had used his full title, despite the fact that everyone in academia had to study theology before they could teach their chosen subjects.

"Still as obstinate as ever, Professor." The student sensed a way to broach the awkward subject he had come to the dungeons to discuss. "The cardinals are gathering today to debate your guilt. It's not too late to renounce your heresy. 

"Do you believe I'm a Heretic?" Peleus smiled, but it was tinged with sadness

"No. Of course not, Professor." Thanatos felt a familiar exasperation with his old teacher. "But they'll spare your life, if you confess, and may even let you teach again after a suitable amount of time has passed."

"What is the point of being an educator if you can't teach the truth?" 

"But they'll drown you, Professor." Thanatos' remonstrations harked of a last, desperate attempt to drive home the ramifications of the crime his friend was accused of. "That's the punishment for heresy."

"Maybe they will." Peleus had a look of resignation on his face. "Have you ever known a case of heresy to take this long before going to trial though? Even in my isolation I can't escape the rumours of dissent. The populus are demanding a less draconian approach to religion."

"Yes I know," interjected Thanatos. "Aletheia is with a crowd of protestors now. They are gathering outside the Palace gates as we speak. She'll probably get herself killed."

 "Not and even the Church, with all its power, can't hold back the will of the masses forever.".

"All the more reason for them to make examples of you, her and all the protestors" came the frustrated response.

"All the more reason they'd be reluctant to create martyrs," countered Peleus.

"Well you may think it's worth gambling with your own life, but you're gambling with hers as well." Thanatos glanced over his shoulder as he heard the prison guard approach. "Think about it, Professor."

Peleus could find no more words as his friend was led from the cell. He lowered himself onto his cold, stone bed and stared through the skylight. As the heavy iron door slammed shut, he wondered how he had been so blind to his Thanatos' feelings for Aletheia. He had watched them grow up together, as students, and the thought that something could develop between them had never crossed his mind.