Deep waters.

As the weeks passed, we became more comfortable with each other and eventually settled into a routine. I was starting to believe we were actually a family again. After the day visiting Evan, I'd been more active, going out and walking around the city. It was amazing, breathing in the fresh Shiffir air. Feeling the whoosh of air on my skin as cars whizzed past and people went about their days. This world was alive and full of wonder.

Everything was different, yet the same. My father was similar to the man I remembered. He was just as proper, but older with more bitter edges. 

The day finally came that my father set me down. "This is the anniversary of your mother's death. I think it's time we visited her, together."

The grave sites were outside of the town and we took the one road out. The last time I visited had been at the funeral. That time, I'd sat in the car and refused to get out. I couldn't bare to see all the sad faces. And I couldn't bare to see her body disappear into the ground. It was as if I thought that if I didn't see it, it was real. 

This time, as the car pulled to a halt, I rushed out. It was set into a grove, large bushes obscuring the inside from view. It was a quiet, peaceful and private place. Immediately, I was at ease as I walked through the tombstones. I searched the names. My father watched from a distance and offered no aid, letting me find her by myself. 

After a few rows, I found her name etched into the stone. I crouched down into the grass and ran my fingers along the engraving. I was glad she was here, in this peaceful place. My father walked up behind me and laid a hand on my shoulder. 

"She knew the risks she took marrying me. I was selfish to let her." I stood and wrapped him in a hug.

"You can't blame yourself."

"Then neither can you." He pushed me away so he could look me straight in the eye. "I know you've blamed yourself all these years. I failed you and I failed your mother, not the other way around. I never once blamed you, I only felt guilt for not protecting you from these people. For letting them steal your mother from you."

I nodded and tears sprung into my eyes. There had been so many years when I'd wished to hear those words. And now they were here, I realised I didn't need them. I'd found forgiveness by myself. 

"She would be proud of you."

I asked her in my mind if that were true, but of course, I got no response back. I vowed then, that I would give her a reason to be proud. 

In the months that followed, I explored all my options. It was strange, having options.  The one thing that called to me was searching for my mother's killers. I supposed I truly was my father's daughter and after the taste of action, I couldn't leave it be.  I would scour to the ends of the universe for them. Not for revenge, but to make things right. They had committed a crime, stolen precious years from me that I couldn't get back. They had to pay the price for that. One day, I found them and strangely found myself climbing through air ducts. And I enjoyed it. Lets just say, old habits die hard.

I remembered the day they took me away.

My father hadn't shown his face. I had been at school and they'd taken me in front of everyone. I'd seen others taken from families that couldn't afford to keep their children. For them, it had come as no surprise. For me, it could never have been anything but. 

Four men in uniform had come into the classroom. They didn't knock. Nobody acknowledged their presence. The teacher had carried on with the lesson as if nothing was happening. They'd ignored my screams, as I'd been dragged out of the room and down the corridor. 

I was a child condemned. 

I'd never been off planet. I'd flown in planes, but that was it. A plane was nothing compared to a space ship. 

A woman had sat down in front of me and explained. She'd kissed my forehead as I cried, as if she could replace what had been stolen. 

They'd shown me to my room and left me there to fend for myself.

At ten, I'd lost everything.

I'd been alone, until one day, Evan appeared at my bedside. Another child abandoned.

He'd started to fill in the pieces that were missing.

I smiled at Evan as he sat perched in a tree. 

Finally, Evan was released and I took him to the lake. We didn't still own the house, but water couldn't be owned. Trees lined most of the water front and it was private and secluded. The horizon stretched out as far as the eye could see until the water broke off and hit the sky. If I wanted, I could run and run and run and never look back. I turned back to Evan.

I stripped out of my clothes and ran into the water. I don't know why, but I'd been waiting for him to join me here. I hadn't come with my father for fear of ruining the old memories, but with Evan, I could make new, positive ones, and leave my childhood ones to be. His feet slapped into the ground and he raced after me. I dove in head first and relished in the feel of the water. 

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me up out of the water. His teeth were already chattering. It was winter. 

"You're trying to kill me." He laughed and planted a chattering kiss onto my lips. I laughed right back and forced him under. He came back up with his long curls plastered to his face. He blew at them but they wouldn't budge. "Thanks a lot."

I ran away as he chased after me.

The memories would never go, and I was glad for it.

"Thank you for never leaving me." He whispered, though he didn't need to. 

"Thank you for finding me."

I kicked out into the deeper waters, and Evan followed me. He would follow me always. We floated in the lake together, hands locked overhead, two stars spinning through the emptiness. The possibilities for our future were endless. We'd both escaped out pasts and now what lay ahead was unbroken territory, unhindered and unleashed. 

Tears of joy sprung into my eyes and were washed away by the waters. They were as cleansing as they were freeing. 

Words: 1134

Total word count: 20,060