He was unexpected.

People weren't meant to stand in lines. 

The middle-aged got impatient as if they thought their lives would waste away in the time they waited. Children got bored, some cried, others threw crumbs. Once, a child had thrown an egg at me that I'd barely avoided. The unruly organisation set me on edge, I wanted to straighten everyone until they were in perfect alignment. Not that I needed something extra to send nervous electricity down my veins. Only time would tell whether I could sneak my way on board.

The notice screen said the transport ship was heading straight for Shiffir. As far as I knew, my father still lived on Shiffir. For a moment, I had the childish wish that he would greet me on arrival, and everything could go back to how it was. But even if that happened, I could never forgive him. The scars, however old, would still be there, rough and stark. I had been a child, grieving my mother, and he couldn't stand the sight of me.

The line moved, at first only a small jerk, then a tirade. We flowed aboard, one staff member scanning faces intermittently. I kept my head down and walked, staying in the middle of the clump until my feet clanged up onto the board walk and I shuffled through the door into the passenger area. Seats filled the space in rows as far as the eye could see. Steps at the far sides lead up to more seating areas and places only the staff could go. I moved towards the middle and sat among a group of well-dressed women. Here, I stuck out in my overalls instead of blending in and I caught their looks, each with a slightly disgusted air, though nothing overwrought. They didn't want to seem impolite.

The doors suctioned closed and more staff wormed their way out of the recesses of the ship. They started going row by row through the ship and singling out passengers – stowaways like myself. My muscles tensed and my eyes searched the space for somewhere to hide. I pushed to my feet and edged out past all of the knees. A young man caught my eye and I stiffened.

He walked toward me, bright orange uniform gleaming.

I turned and made toward the toilet sign flashing near the rear. Stealing a glance behind me, I saw as he turned the corner just seconds after me. He called out as I twisted around the corner into a short corridor that stopped at a row of toilets. I pushed into one and slammed the door closed behind me.

The footsteps slowed as they came closer. "Nobody's allowed to leave the main room during face checkoff."

I held my breath like that would make him leave.

"Please open the door." The door clanged against its hinges, wiggling back and forth. "You can't hide in here forever. If you're not supposed to be on the ship, I can get you off now, no consequences."

I let out the breath and edged to the door, twisted open the lock. I almost slammed it back closed in his face when I saw him up close. The resemblance to Evan was uncanny. But no, it was just my mind playing tricks. When I looked closer, I noticed the differences. The angle of his jaw and slope of his nose. Really, it was just that curly, shaggy hair that I could remember running my fingers through.

"You'll come?" He asked and held out a hand which I took. He led me back out into the main area, then down to a back exit before he finally let go of my hand. "Don't pull that again."

I nodded solemnly. He stepped back and watched as I walked away. Slipping under the cord barrier and back into the stream of people, relief washed over me, bittersweet. I would not land on Shiffir and feel the absence of my father. My memories of that place would stay are they were, and I could hold on to my foolish wishes.

I wandered, with no purpose, through the docking bay. It was strange being so aimless. In the past I'd always had something to occupy my time. Now I was alone with no job and nowhere to go. I scanned the crowds again and my gaze landed on the short haired man from earlier. Our eyes caught and his gaze bored holes into me. I faltered, unsure whether this was a good idea, but this was my only option. Quickly closing the distance, I stopped two feet in front of him.