Chapter 16

Tigerstripe padded out of the nursery where he found Lionstar sitting in the rock and the clan cats were gathering around. Tigerstripe saw that Caveclaw and Russetfur were on the middle, the clan cats surrounded them. Tigerstripe went over to the group and sat next to Cloudheart. The tom was staring at the black-and-white tom. Tigerstripe looked up at his brother.

"Today, we lost two of our friends. Russetfur and Caveclaw. They fought well and hard for this clan, I believe they earned to be warriors of Canyonclan and Starclan. May Starclan light their path."

The clan cats bowed their heads and went silent. After a moment, Lionstar began to speak again.

"We are blessed with new lives. Watersplash gave birth to four health kits. I'm sure the father is very proud."

Tigerstripe saw that his brother was looking at him and out of instinct, he raised his head to saw that he was proud.

"It won't be long until we strong, new warriors. Our clan is growing and becoming strong."

Lionstar leaped from the rock and when over to the deputy.

"Russetfur was a great deputy and she won't be forgotten. Caveclaw was a strong warrior, he remained strong when Stripe attacked."

Lionstar looked up at the sky for a moment. He then looked at the warriors.

"At sundown, I'll choose the next deputy," Lionstar meowed, sitting next to Russetfur.

The warriors stood there for a few moments before leaving Lionstar with the two cats. Cloudheart didn't move, instead he stayed next to Caveclaw. Tigerstripe saw Skywing and went over to her, so that she could treat his wounds. Skywing noticed him and quickly went into her den and grabbed her herbs. She put the herbs on his wounds and then had he go to Watersplash. He entered the nursery and went over to Watersplash. He saw that three of the kits were sleeping next to her, but one was slowly moving around the nest. Tigerstripe realized it was smallest one, Creakkit.

"Lively one, isn't he?" Watersplash asked.

"Sure is," Tigerstripe replied.

"He may become like you," she meowed, "he'll get your stubbornness."

"Maybe, I think Grasskit may get my stubbornness."

"Maybe they all will."

Tigerstripe purred and nuzzled his mate before sitting next to her. Creakkit squeaked and moved over to his father. Tigerstripe watched the tannish kit for a moment, before he gently nosed him towards Watersplash. Creakkit gave a squeak in protest, but he went over to Waterkit and curled up beside her. Waterkit mewed, but she went silent when Creakkit fell asleep. Goldenwing entered the nursery and saw that Tigerstripe was sitting with Watersplash and she went over to them. She looked at the kits and purred.

"You're going to be a great father, Tigerstripe," Goldenwing meowed.

"I sure hope so," Tigerstripe replied.

Goldenwing gave a nod.

"Lionstar will call a meeting any moment now," she meowed.

"I'll keep my ears alert."

Goldenwing went to her nest and laid down. Tigerstripe could've sworn he saw a hint of jealousy in her eyes, when she looked at the kits. Was she jealous of the kits? He didn't know the answer. Outside he heard a yowl and he exited the den to see that Lionstar was calling a meeting. He padded over, along with the others. He sat and looked at Redpaw, who sat next to him.

"It's time to announce the new deputy," Lionstar began,"I say these words before Starclan and the spirits of our warrior ancestors and I hope them approve of my choice...."

He let his eyes roam around at the cats in the crowd for a moment.

"Tigerstripe will be our new deputy," he meowed.

As the clan cheered his name, Tigerstripe looked around. Most cats were happy with the choice, but some had hints of jealousy in their eyes.

"My brother, you have shown me that you can lead a clan and you will protect it. I know have yet to get an apprentice, but I cannot afford to leave this clan without a deputy," he paused, "I know that I had plenty of cats to choose from, but my brother, I saw how much you love these cats, even if there are kittypets, loners or rogues. I believe it's your right to become deputy, then to a leader."

Tigerstripe expect his brother to make a speech, but somehow, he was greatful. He stared at his brother before he gave a nod.

"I'll do my best to serve this clan as a deputy," Tigerstripe meowed.

Lionstar gave a nod.

"That is all, I'll have Breezeheart, Owlfrost and Blackclaw help me bury our dead. Tigerstripe, I leave you in charge."

Tigerstripe gave a nod and watched at the cats exited the camp, along with Russetfur and Caveclaw. He noticed that Cloudheart was slowly following them. Tigerstripe did want to confront him, since he just lost a good friend, so he let him be. Snowblaze and Berrystem were talking to one another, before they left for the warriors den. Redpaw and Lionheart followed them. Soon the camp was empty, all cats were in the warm dens. The brown tom shivered and looked up, just in time to see that flecks of snow were slowly fluttering down onto the ground.

I was wondering when the snow was coming. He thought moving towards the nursery, were he found that Goldenwing was waiting.

"I told Watersplash, she's very proud."

"Oh, uh, thank you."

The golden she-cat purred, before she entered the nursery. Tigerstripe took guard in front of the nursery. He stared at the snow, before he gave a small sigh.

I'm now deputy...