Episode 17

(Y/n's pov)

Me, Jack, and eugene were all eating breakfast at the inn, everything was on the house since I was the princess.
"If anyone, and i mean ANYONE asks. We weren't here." Eugene tells the innkeeper who did the lips sealed gesture with her fingers and smile. "Secrets safe."
It was good that people were actually kind enough to keep to themselves. I feel too privledged as a princess though, it feels like there's never a new challenge. Not that I want one of course.
After we ate, I took the two letters and asked for a messenger to take them to their rightful owners. The man took them with a nod and ran straight out the door.
"Shall we get going?" Eugene asked us in a monotone, we nodding and walked out the door with our stuff. My cloak hood was over my head, we walked out and got on hero and Jack got on his horse who I didn't know the name of and started off on a trail.
"What's you're horses name Jack?"  Asked curiously as we set off to the trail. "They don't have one. I didn't have the time to make it up." I frowned, seeing that the no named horse did not have anything to be called me. But me being me, I did have a name for the fellow. "What's the gender?" I asked him but he shrugged confusedly. I would have to make a gender neutral name then. "Sam." I say but Jack looked at me with a raised brow at me. "Sam?" I nodded in confirmation and a smile but he just shrugged in response and a chuckle. "Don't mind that."
While we were riding I tried to strike a conversation with eugene as well.
"Since we're going to be working with each other for awhile, tell us about yourself?" I say gently, he hummed in response which made my heart jump with excitement. "What do you want to know?" He asked calmly, he was most likely in a good mood. I was expecting this type of reaction at all. "Anything I guess."
"Hm...I used to be a royal assassin until...some things happened. I'm now a knight escort, I'm a drinker, I don't like people, I dont like the rich, I don't like the royal families, i don't like the empire." Ah, so he doesn't like me because I'm a princess which I can only assume. It's just facts. "So you don't like Me?" I asked but he just stayed silent which only proves to be my answer. "What's your relationship with red?" I asked curiously which o remember from the stables he didn't want to talk about. Maybe now was a good time since he was pretty much in a good mood. "Red...." He mumbled her name under his breath. "We used to be friends, friends since we were little and growing up together. I was a year older then her. I grew feelings for her, so I admitted to her when I was 17 and she was 16." He said but then grew quiet but I was getting more into the story, I really wanted to know what happened. "What happened?" I asked curiously but not wanting to push him to tell me. "She rejected me and ever since then we haven't talked. It's been 5 years." He said, sounding a bit hurt as he said it but who could blame him. I would still feel hurt after that. He probably really did like her that much.
"I'm really sorry to hear that." I apologized souly for him but he shakes his head with a sigh. "Don't. I'd rather not hear that." I nodded and looked down, the ride was growing silent again. Maybe I shouldn't have asked that but I was just too curious since what happened back at the stables. I then looked at Jack who had his eyes on the trail, following along side us I began wanting to get to know him a little more too if he was going to be sticking around for longer.
"Jack, tell us about yourself." I say with a patient smile, he glanced at me and chuckled. "Well, I wasn't rich but I wasn't poor when I was younger. Me, my parents worked on a farm with horses and other animals. We provided for the village I lived in." He explained as I listened to him ramble about his family but then got back on track. "As I grew up, I bought the stables from my grandfather and ran it for years. I soon found a woman who I fell in love with..." my eyes lit up as i heard this, he had a woman in his life?! A wife? A girlfriend? "Who was she?" I asked great curiousness, he blushed looking down as I asked his and smiled nervously. "Its stupid..." I gasped and looked at him with furious eyes. "Love isn't stupid! Go on! Tell!" I pressure, eugene nudged my shoulder hard with an annoyed look on his face that read, "manners much?"
"Well...The woman I fell in love with...was Empress yoolie. She came upon our village to visit and say hello. My Lord she was the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen." Oh my days, that was so adorable! A horsemen had fallen in love with the empress, how lovely! "That's the cutest thing ever!" I exclaimed happily with bright eyes and a smile but he seemed to be blushing like a tomato and didn't want to speak anymore of the subject, looking embarrassed. Which i respected, then causing the ride to go quiet.
We've been riding for hours, not a settlement in sight I was starting to grow worried. Hero went towards the woods in front of us, going through the snow filled woods we looked around. Something was off as we were riding through, everything was quiet. The wind didn't seem to blow here, the birds weren't chirping, there were no noises of animals anywhere. "Something isn't right eugene." I tell him but he just seems to nod in agreement as he looked around suspiciously as I do as well. As hero was walking through, I felt vines brush over my right arm. I looked over to just see a vine we walke passed but thought nothing of it.
But it started to get progressive, the leaves of the trees seemed to be moving on their own and I think eugene began to notice this. "eugene, we need to get out of here." Hero seemed to agree as well, eugene nodded and hero ran through the woods, minutes go by they don't seem to end. "What the Fuck?" Eugene growled and hero ran faster trying to get out of here and I was getting scared. What was up with these woods?
Suddenly hero tripped and knocked us off, hero was on the ground with us. He seemed to have tripped over a root. "Woah! You guys alright?" Jack asked as he got off of sam, to see if we were okay. Eugene and I groaned from the blow of falling off of hero, but I felt something wrapping around my waist. I looked down to see vines were wrapping around my waist and legs, I gasped and tried to rip them off with my hands but suddenly they wrapped around my wrists as well. Eugenes eyes widened but the vines wrapped around him as well and yanked him up and held him up side down, wrapping around his arms and legs.
"What the hell?!" Jack exclaimed as the vines wrapped around his whole body and pinned him against the tree, wrapping his against the tree. Sam was pinned to the ground, the vines wrapped around both them and hero
"What are these?!" I yell in a panic as I tried to break free of these weird plants wrapped tighter and tighter around me. "These are live vines, they wrap tighter and tighter around you until you die. It's slow." Eugene explained while being held upside down. "How do we get out?!" I asked with fear in my voice as they slowly wrap tighter and tighter around my waist. "Let me think!" He said as he tried to reach for his sword but couldn't when the vines tightly restrained his arms.
More vines seemed to come out and wrapped around us more, my whole legs were being consumed by these plants.
"Don't panic, they will tighten if you panic." Eugene told us so i tried to calm down, my heart was beating out of my chest in fear but I tried to breath. It was growing harder and harder to breath.
Jack was completely restrained of all movement, the vines were completely around his whole body and seemed to be struggling for breath which only scared me more and more.
I looked at eugene and saw more vines wrapping around him as well, but some were wrapping around his neck. I have to do something quick.
But suddenly i came face to face with one vine when suddenly it puffed something into my face.
This was pollin, I coughed as I inhaled this sort of pollin but it didn't smell like it. I felt dizzy, my vision was blurring and i felt faint of this world. But I wasn't gonna go down like this. With all my strength I was trying to reach for my dagger in my boot, the veins were cutting off my blood circulation at this point.
But once I reached it, I grabbed the handle. One vine wrapped around my neck tightly and was cutting off my breath.
But since that stuff was puffed in my face I felt sick and dazed. The dagger slipped from my hand and fell on the ground.
"Y/n?! Are you okay!? Y/n!" Jack screamed as all sounds were echoing in my ears, I then felt all pressure release from my arms and legs. I felt like I was flying, hearing a familer voice in my ear.
"Your going to be okay, Jack we gotta go..." The blurry world was quickly running by, I couldn't comprehend what was going on at all. I felt like I was being held by a gentle force until the whole world closed in on me.

(Eugene's pov)

I was reaching for my sword, using all my strength to get to it as the vines tightened more and more around both my wrists. We couldn't die like this, I felt the handle against my fingertips. "Come on Eugene, you got This!" Jack encouraged, sounding like he was running out of air so I reached more and more until then when I did feel the whole handle around my hand, I grabbed it with a firm grip then using the sword to cut the vines from my legs that held me upside down, causing me to call straight down. I was fighting off vines that tried to grab me again but I wasn't backing down. I cut the vines off hero which made him quickly get up without hesitation, I jumped up with all of my energy and cut off the vines that wrapped all around jacks body, causing him to fall to his feet. "Thanks!" I nodded in response, he ran to Sam and cut the vines off of his horse, once he was back up, he swung back on and fought off the vines to give me time. I then jumped to cut the vines off of y/n. She then fell from the vines and into my arms, I swung on hero and we turned back and ran straight out of the woods.
"You'll be okay y/n....just stay with me."
When we fully got out of the woods, there was a dirt path leading somewhere so in desperate need to get the fuck away from those woods, I took it. I held y/n in front if me tightly so she didn't fall off.
"I hope there's a village nearby." Jack said breathlessy as he held on to the reins tightly.
"I hope so too..." I mumbled as I looked at y/n Who laid there, passed out in my arms. Feeling that protecting feeling that lies in my heart, I knew fate had led me to her. I felt more need to protect her, she was fragile. She needed me. This world is too dangerous. I will do my job as to protect her from it.