Chapter 5

Edited July 19, 2015

Sometimes people stand in a room awkwardly waiting for something to happen. That was me right now. Only seven other people here. Only two tables to sit at. One table with seven chairs, and one table with one chair all by itself. Man this is embarrassing. I don't belong here. This a a sign that I shouldn't be here right now. I'm awake now and perfectly fine. All I need to do is leave this place and everyone in it. I don't belong here. I felt my stomach growl. Well maybe before I figure a way out of here I should at least get some food. I walked over to the table with the lonely chair sat down, and took a bagel from the plate in the middle. As I was putting cream cheese on the bagel the door opened. When I turned around I saw Cole's figure walk in and I whipped my head back around an stared at my bagel. I could hear hushed voices talking at the other table than a chair sliding over to the table I was seated at.

"Mind if I join you?" Cole asked without waiting for a reply before he sat down and started cutting a bagel in half.

"Sure" I mumbled even though he was already making himself at home.

We surprisingly ate in silence. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him glance over at me for a few seconds then continue eating again. The final time he looked over, he was looking at my face as if he was studying every single feature. I started to feel a little uncomfortable as he did this for a few minutes instead of seconds. Next thing I knew, he was lifting his hand up to touch my head.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Even with almost any hair on your head your still beautiful. Did you know that?"

I started to choke on air. "Me? Beautiful? Your pretty funny Cole."

"It's true"

"Oh um then thanks" after I said that, the awkward silence and stares came back again as if it was never faltered. Never have I ever expected this Cole Pendery guy who was kind of mysterious ever call me beautiful. I barely even know him. For all he knows, I could be a mass murderer and kill him in his sleep. I'm not though. I only person I have ever hurt is myself and its almost never on purpose. I have however tripped on someone and caused them to tumble down to the ground with me. I mean, that is how I met Matt. I remember it very clearly. I was at the library with my mom and as I was walking over to the check-out tables I tripped on something and knocked into him then fell right on top of him.

"What the hell!" was the first thing Matt had ever said to me. I feel a pang of homesickness as I thought of the first time Matt and I met. It has been over three months since I have seen him. The longest we had ever gone without even talking was three weeks and that wasn't even on purpose. If I can't find a way out of here, I need to at least figure out a way to get in contact with him. I finally realized that three pairs of eyes looking in my direction. Cole, Sequoya, and Nikki.

"Can she see us?" Nikki asked Sequoya.

"Guys calm down and go back to eating. I'll handle it." Cole said as he out his hand on my shoulder. I felt warmth spread up and down my arm as he did that. I then looked at him.

"You are okay. I'm here" Cole said assuring me.

"Ya. ya you are." I said and regretted it.

"What"

"What"

"Never mind." He sat there looking at me then took his hand off my shoulder, grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the chair. "follow me."

"Okay" I said as he pulled me out of the room and down the hall to the balcony.

=================================

Authors Note:

Hey guys! Thanks for so many views! I know I said I would only update once this week, but I might be able to update more! Stayed tuned for what happens with Cole and Hailey.

~JustJen13