Chapter Fifty Four

"Stay right here," Ethan tells me. He sits me down on a concrete bench overlooking a group of pink, white, and yellow flowers. Behind me, large bushes block the view of the palace. Ethan stays standing with his hands in his pockets.

"Okay. Why?" I ask. He looks around the bushes, as if waiting for something. Then, they travel back to my face. "Is something wrong?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"No. I just have a surprise for you. I need you to stay here. I will be back quickly," he says. I open my mouth to say something but he is gone before anything can come out. I knot my hands together in my lap and stare at the flowers. It looks like they're  dancing in the gentle early December breeze. I stand up to pick one. I roll it between my hands. The pink petals seem to spin like wheels on a vehicle.

I sit back down and release the flower, letting it move along with the wind. The spot is beautiful. I've never really adventured to this area despite how close it is to the palace. Ethan has found all of the truly beautiful spots in my home. He's made so many romantic moves in places such as this. The fireworks on Halloween night. The pond. Now this. What if he is going to-

"There are rebels in the palace!" a guard yells, interrupting my thoughts. I ride from my place on the bench and peak around the corner. There are maids and foot men running back and forth. The gardeners are being chased inside. The guards are fighting people in rags with the red bands around their arms.

"You're not going anywhere, princess," a voice says to my left. A rebel in brown rags with stubble on his chin stands there. He pushes me down and a couple of others run into the spot where Ethan had brought me to. I sit up and the man is with two other men.

And Ethan is right in the middle with a gun aimed at me.
Well, that just happened. I made you all think someone was proposing this chapter, right? Sorry! I meant the truth about Ethan! This was a short chapter but I think the next one will be longer. Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.