Chapter Eleven

"Well then. What are we to do now? If we agree the knife wasn't the murder weapon, then there's no conclusive evidence showing I'm the murderer," Nagito said.

"Y-you should keep your mouth shut! This is up for the rest of us to decide!" Mahiru exclaimed.

"H-he said he was pushed away from under the table...but we don't know that for sure, do we?" Teruteru asked.

"The pretentious one is correct. Some other weapon was used should not itself lift our suspicions," Gundham stated.

"B-but there is another reason Nagito can't be the culprit," Mikan said softly.

"Huh? There's more?!" Teruteru exclaimed.

"We all agree that the culprit killed Togami under the table...don't we?" Mikan asked.

"Is that...a problem?" Sonia asked.

"Um...I thought Nagito was too clean to be the culprit," Mikan said.

"Ah! Someone's finally complimenting me for my impeccable personal hygiene! Even my mother never praised me for anything!" Nagito exclaimed.

"Ah! No! That's not what I meant!" Mikan squeaked.

"What you're saying is that Nagito didn't have any blood on him, right?" Hajime asked.

"Y-yes! That's it! I mean...there was a lot of blood splattered all over under the table, wasn't there? There were even splatters of blood all over the tablecloth," Mikan said.

"If he really had killed Togami under that table, it is strange that he did not get any blood on him," Peko said.

"Oh? As you can see, there isn't any blood on me at all," Nagito said.

"Maybe...he simply used something to avoid the blood," Akane suggested.

"But, what is that something? Was there something that could be used to avoid the blood splatter? Oh...actually there was. Isn't that right Hajime?" Nagito asked.

"There was a tablecloth with blood on it in the storage room...is that what you're talking about?" Hajime asked.

"If there was blood on it, that must be it! Nagito must have used it under the table to avoid the blood!" Fuyuhiko exclaimed.

"But, it was found in the storage room, was it not? Are we to believe he carried it there, after the murder?" Gundham asked.

"Do you mean after the lights came back on? What did he plan to do if someone saw him?" Nekomaru asked.

"That's right. That tablecloth was pretty large, so carrying it through the lodge in order to hide it..." Hajime trailed off.

"Furthermore, it was enough trouble grabbing the knife in the darkness. Stabbing someone while wrapped in a tablecloth on top of that. I don't think the most talented people in this room could do that. Let alone someone at my level," Nagito said.

"S-so what does it mean?" Teruteru asked.

"Perhaps, the culprit didn't stab Togami under the table," Chiaki said.

"Impossible. That the victim died under the table is beyond question," Gundham said.

"With the blood splattered all over the tablecloth. It's clear that's where Togami was killed," Mikan said.

"True. Togami was stabbed under the table. But that doesn't mean that that's where he was stabbed from," Chiaki said.

"Frankly, that makes no sense at all!" Ibuki said.