Season 16, Episode 17: Not Ready to Make Nice

"Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything
But I'm still waiting."

* * *

"I need to talk to you."

Meredith glances up over her shoulder. Jo, agitation writ all over her face, is standing so close to Meredith that she's almost riding on her back. The other woman is looking around furtively, her voice pitched low and private.

"Karev... I can smell the coffee on your breath. Back up about six inches, please."

Jo glares but takes a step back.

"It's about Alex. I mean..." She takes another furtive peek around. "I'm sure you've noticed..."

Ah, Meredith thinks. So that's what this is about.... And yes, I've noticed.

"I'm heading to OR 1 for a bowel resection," she answers. "Come scrub in with me."

Jo nods. "I'll meet you in there."

What Meredith doesn't say – but what she's certainly thinking – is that you'd have to be blind, deaf, and probably in another state entirely not to notice what's going on with Alex Karev.

She finishes her prep and heads to the OR. By the time Jo shoulders through the door into the operating room, the anesthesiologist has already put her patient, Lucy, under.

"Did you get lost?" Meredith asks.

"Sorry," Jo mutters as she takes her place across from Meredith. "Had to... run interference."

"What was it this time?" Meredith asks, carefully making the first incision. She arches a brow at Jo. "Sloppy chart? Someone breathing too loudly?"

"Schmitt seems to have forgotten how to intubate and Alex happened to be on the warpath in the ER to witness it."

"At least it's a legitimate complaint."

"This time." Jo sighs and takes up a set of forceps.

"Has he been like this at home?"

"I mean... yes and no. He's not, you know, actively screaming at me. He just... sits and stares at the wall."

Meredith considers this. "And when you ask him what's going on?"

Jo shrugs. "He just says he doesn't want to talk about it."

They tend to the patient for a few minutes before Meredith cautiously approaches the elephant in the room. "Has he heard from Izzie?"

"Oh yes. She's been sending photos of the kids every day, she lets him know how they're doing. She's set them up a video chat on the weekends, which he loves." Jo's tone is studied in its neutrality; she has clearly been working at it.

"I don't suppose she's talked to Koracick?"

"Not that I've heard."

"Do you want her to?"

There's a long pause. "I want Alex to be happy," she finally answers. "And if that means having her here, I guess I'll figure it out. I'm just... worried he won't be able to be happy if it doesn't work out exactly the way he wants."

Meredith quietly returns her focus to her work.

"You think I'm wrong?" Jo asks.

"No," Meredith answers simply. "I think you're right."

* * *

"Karev!"

Alex whirls around. Richard Webber is standing at the door to the skills lab, where Alex has been for the past hour as Levi Schmitt practices his fortieth intubation.