CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

I looked over at the necklace that sat on my living room cabinet

I remembered how it had looked draped around Rosalie's neck and suddenly my mind was filled with thoughts of Rosalie again.

She had been the main topic on my mind.

It had been three days since we kissed in the wee hours of that night, but the feelings that the mere thought of Rosalie drummed up in me had lost none of their power.

I thought of her, happily at home, probably getting ready for work and sighed.

There was one person I was meeting that morning without fail and that was my father.

I dressed impeccably, knowing that it would impress my father, or at least catch his eye and I went to my parents' house.

As I walked in, my mother was walking out.

"Aiden," she said, happily, making me so glad that I came. She reached up and kissed my cheek, "It's so nice to see you. You look so handsome today."

"Thanks, Mom," I said, giving her a kiss on her cheek, "Is Dad in?"

"He must be in the den, Aiden," she said, "I'm off for a little brunch meeting with the ladies. Don't forget to say hello to your grandmother. She's in the verandah with Fiona."

Thinking that my father could wait, I made a bee-line for the verandah, where my grandmother sat with her helper.

"Hey, Gammy," I said to her, kissing her on the cheek and sitting down beside her.

She turned her face to look at me. "Aiden, look how much you've grown," she said, caressing my face, "I still remember you as a little boy, no taller than my hip."

I took her hand. "How've you been?" I asked her.

"I've been having a ball, Aiden," she said, jovially, always the social butterfly, "There have been luncheons and galas galore. I haven't had the time to venture out here to see you all."

"Busy as ever then?" I asked.

She shook a perfectly manicured finger at me. "Now, now, Aiden, you're never busy when you're doing what makes you happy."

"I'll believe that," I told her, happily.

She angled her face and looked at me. "You seem happy," she remarked.

"Aren't I always?" I asked, pretending to be offended.

"Oh, you smile that mischievous smile of yours, darling boy, but I really wondered whether you were actually happy ever since you grew up," she said, "But looking at you now, you seem immensely content."

"I am, Gammy," I said, with a happy sigh, linking my fingers over my stomach as I leaned back.

She eyed me. "She's special, isn't she?" she asked me and I looked at her quizzically. "Don't give me that look. I know of you and your escapades with various women, Aiden. But none of them would have caused this, I believe."