Best Crime and thriller books to read!

Need a good crime fiction novel to get your adrenaline going? Here are our suggestions that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Prodigal by Irshad Abdul Kadir

What does it take to find God in all cultures and religions? In these fratricidal times, the devout yet reasoning soul of Akbar Ali Samandar explores the irrationality of extremist tendencies in Pakistan, the problems of Western impositions on tolerant and liberal Islam as well as the ways in which these misunderstandings can be transcended for a better understanding of humanity.

Akbar has felt his unusual connection to God from an early stage of his life. These visitations continue through his questioning of extremist practice and abusive behaviour to children, brewing in a madrasa in Pakistan. Questioning this orthodoxy in Karachi while living in the select residence of his father, who is Chief Justice of the High Court, leads him to a scholarly quest for the discovery of tolerance in Islam in the famous Islamic research centre of Dar-ul Aman in Taliban-controlled FATA region of northwest Pakistan. A brush with a friend-turned-extremist, then finding real love and twins out of the marriage in Dar-ul Aman are not able to hold back Akbar in his quest for tolerance and understanding among people of different religions.

Fate takes him to Trinity College in Cambridge where he is finally able to bridge the scholarly with the experiential and feel proximity to God's love. And just then, his world gets thrust into the unfurling hatred of extremist terrorism. Akbar is left to negotiate the terror of religious violence through his belief in love and humanity.

The Fix by Omar Shahid Hamid

From the bestselling author of The Prisoner and The Party Worker comes THE FIX.

Will the profusely talented Sanam Khan's rise to the pinnacle of world cricket be interrupted by the bookies and the powerful match-fixing mafia?

Ever since she was fifteen years old, the profusely talented Sanam Khan has only had one dream: to win a World Cup for her country. Now, thanks to her own efforts as the Captain, her team of talented misfits in the Pakistan women's cricket team stand on the verge of realising that dream. But fate intervenes, and the team's success attracts the great corruptors of the sport, the match-fixing syndicates that captured the men's team two decades ago. Will Sanam and her girls succeed where the men failed, or will history repeat itself?

A Death in the Himalayas by Udayan Mukherjee

Why would anyone kill a well-meaning foreigner like Clare Watson in a quiet neighbourhood in the foothills of the Himalayas?

Yes, Clare was a fearless woman. But why would she venture into the dark forest after sundown knowing it fully well as leopard habitat?

When a celebrity author-activist is found battered in a Himalayan forest spring, the event resounds internationally. India jumps into headlines once again as a country that is unsafe for women. Closer home, the tragedy divides the sleepy village into gentle folk who mourn the dreadful passing of their dear friend and the motivated elite who believe she was begging for trouble.

As Neville Wadia picks his way through the blood-splattered hills of Birtola, he begins to unpack the deadly truth that killed Clare, only to realize there are other tender lives at stake.

What kind of killer is at work here: a jealous lover, a dejected husband, a sharp land grabber, a wily politician or a disgruntled local?