34 | Gift

You caught sight of the emergency chord at the corner of your eye. With one pull of that red string, you could call for help, but you quickly realised that it would be pointless. After all, what could a couple of doctors and nurses do against a licensed Hero?

Your uncle dusted off his suit as he cleared his throat. "How are you feeling, (y/n)?"

"I-I'm mostly fine."

"I have no idea of how to take care of kids, but don't take me for granted," he said in his gravelly voice. "No fever or anything? Your face is red."

Todoroki's ears perked up at the innocuous words as he stayed still, as still as he could behind the curtain. Because he had snuck into your room earlier than the visiting times allowed, he didn't debate going into hiding as soon as he heard knocking at your door. Even though he had managed to keep his cool in the heat of the moment, his heartbeat sped up when your uncle said: "Right, I'll open the window for you."

A cold shiver ran down your spine as he gave a step towards that side of the room. "No!" You clenched your sweating fists. "I mean- don't worry, I'll get it."

Daiki narrowed his skeptic light blue eyes, scanning your arm in the plaster cast. Though he assumed that it was just you being stubborn as usual, always wanting to pull your own weight, a fickle spot of doubt lingered within him.

Shuffling to the corner of the bed, you put your feet into your slippers. As you stood from the bed and ambled to the window, Daiki stole a glance down at his metal briefcase. He studied it, as though its dead weight would pull him into the ground. With an unhinged chuckle, he wondered if there was a special place in hell for people like him. The debt collectors had him on a short leash, which sometimes felt more like a noose.

Todoroki noticed the tremor in your hands, as you peeked at him on your left. He covered his mouth with his palm, stifling his breath. Droplets of sweat trickled down his tense neck. The early summer sun hit his back, but he didn't want to use his ice quirk, fearing that it would make a noise.

The children's security lock unfastened with a 'click', and you pushed the window open with your uninjured hand. Nevertheless, that wasn't the only clicking sound in the room. You whipped your head back, recognising the sound of the briefcase opening.

You took in how Daiki looked at his briefcase with such down-cast eyes, and then back up at you. The muscles in his arm tightened, regret etching his chest already.

Even though you tilted your head to the side, you wanted to scream out loud. You swallowed, hard, when you saw him bring his hand to his back pocket. You could take him on by surprise. Perhaps, dash and borrow enough of his life energy to make him faint? But he was strong, and your wrist had multiple fractures that had yet to heal. Every time you had trained with your uncle before starting at U.A., he had beaten you.

"What's the problem?" he took his favourite lighter out of his pocket.

Yet you held your ground, forcing yourself to appear calm.

Your uncle raised a brow before he began twiddling with the lighter. "Still in shock?"

Todoroki shut his eyes, furrowing his eyebrows as a wasp landed on his shoulder. Somewhat stupefied, the wasp made its way into Todoroki's shirt. Todoroki resisted the urge to smack it, feeling it trail down his pale back.

You heard the faintest ruffling behind you, which you knew could not be the wind. You took a sharp breath. "A bit. I'm still getting over what happened at the training camp."

Your uncle pressed his lips together, not entirely satisfied with your answer. He had an inkling that you were on to him. He knew that you were smart. You had got into the most prestigious hero school in the country, after all. But he wasn't sure of how much suspicion lingered in your heart when it came to him. His only clue was one fingerprint. And it belonged to you.