16 | Nurse's room

You looked at the pink plastic mannequin lying down on the bed. Recovery Girl used her quirk on it to no avail to prove her point. Of course, it remained lifeless, as no trace of life had ever emanated from within it. "Do you understand, young (y/n)? While my quirk helps patients use their own vitality, when you try to heal people, the vitality is coming directly from you."

You nodded. "Does that mean that I can hurt myself pretty badly if I give out too much?"

Recovery Girl took off her latex gloves, and broke the news to you. "Even worse than that. You know that you collapse when you overstrain yourself. Simply put, if you push yourself any harder than that, you could die. Therefore, you need to learn how to better control the influx and output of your vitality."

You tightened your bandaged fists, aiming to stop some harrowing memories from seeping back into your mind. Ever since one grim accident that had scarred you for life when you were young, you had an intuitive feeling as to when to stop, borrowing just enough life energy to make yourself stronger.

Though now that you were in the bigger leagues, fighting against your powerful classmates instead of those cowardly bullies, you needed help. This was one of the many lessons you would have with Recovery Girl, at least until you managed to gain some more command over your power.

You rubbed your arm to calm yourself down. "I understand, Recovery Girl. I promise I'll be more careful."

"Another thing you need to be aware of is that every time you use your quirk on someone, their life is on your hands," Recovery Girl continued. "I do not have to tell you the moral code of heroes, as I am sure you are well aware of it. Be mindful that depleting someone's vitality could make them pass away."

Those words were like a dagger to your heart. You couldn't fathom the fact that in trying to train to save others, you might deeply hurt your classmates. It was hard to accept that your quirk had the potential to be more villainous than you ever imagined. People tended to be wary of you when they first learnt about your quirk, but you never thought that fear was justified until today. This sent shivers down your spine; you didn't want to follow in Endeavor's steps, after all.

---

Later that afternoon, you glanced down at your phone. Noticing that Chiharu had texted you lifted your gloomy mood, but only slightly.

Lying on your back, you sent a quick reply, knowing that if you didn't do it now, you would probably forget to later. Given that you had lost contact with your childhood friend since you joined U.A., you wanted to catch up with her.

🌸Chi🌸

🌸Hey, (y/n).
Long time no see :(

Yeah. I miss you, Chi.
How's fashion design school?

🌸It's hard work,
but good fun.
I've got something to tell you.
Do you want to meet up sometime?

That's good.
Yeah, I'm free this weekend.
Everything okay?

🌸Literally 10x better than okay.
I'll tell you all about it if you meet me at my fav cafe on Saturday at five ;)

After leaving your phone on the wooden nightstand in your room, you eyed the old music box under your bed. You still kept it, even though you'd never heard its tune. It reminded you of better times, when there wasn't so much to worry about. As you picked it up, a wave of nostalgia washed over you.