10 | Blanket

You tightened your hands into fists and punched. Beating up the leather punching bag, again and again in an attempt to take your mind off your uncle's shady dealings.

You didn't even hear Todoroki's footsteps, though the wooden flooring in the indoor training grounds creaked with the slightest movement.

Staring at you with his thin lips a tad parted, he ran a hand through his hair, at a loss of what to do or say. Though he had been training as well, he had not expected to see you overworking yourself at the indoor training grounds this late in the least. Primarily because of how you had collapsed at today's quirk apprehension test.

He was about to leave when he spotted your bloodied hands. "(y/n), you're... not doing it right."

You kept going at it, making your muscles burn and getting your frustration out of your system.

Your dishevelled appearance was no match for your usual tidier one, Todoroki noted. But he forced himself to look the other way, internally beating himself up for not having walked away already.

As you ran out of breath, you stopped and closed your eyes shut to give yourself a break. And you tensed up as you sensed someone's presence behind you, like a lurking shadow.

It's probably Shoto? I can't tell, but Fuyumi and Natsuo would have said something by now. After picking up your drink from the floor, you propped yourself up.

As you closed your eyes once again, you recognised that he was still there.

Turning around, you wiped the sweat off your brow, as you noticed Todoroki in his sports gear with a small towel around his neck. "Oh..."

However, you soon turned back around from him. The half-and-half boy had blanked you enough times for you to assume that he hadn't meant to disturb you.

Yet, you still looked back, hope lingering in your heart. He was a few steps away from exiting the spacious room when you addressed him, "Thank you for today, Shoto."

He paused for a moment as his jumbled thoughts caught up to him, letting you know that he had heard you.

Why had his curiosity got the better of him? And what was with your strange antics? Did you not know when to give it up?

And, worst of all, why did you have to be so nice to him? Even when everything would be so much easier if both of you kept your interactions to a bare minimum, Todoroki wondered what had made him stay until now.

But, as you waited for his response, he strolled away and shut the door behind him without a word.

You looked down at your sore knuckles. After bandaging them and resuming to beat the shit out of that punching bag, you thought about your hunch about Daiki. It wasn't as if your uncle had committed anything terrible enough to disclose to the police. The briefcase could be filled with legal documents related to his business, for all you knew. Though, the fact that he hid this from you triggered an unsettling feeling. As the claws of uncertainty snatched any optimism away from you, you wished that you would have never peeked under the blanket of lies.

---

The constant chatter engulfed Lunch Rush Cafeteria, which buzzed with life as some students ate their meals, while others strode in various directions, carrying their trays. You concluded that the food was far superior to your old school's as you took another bite of your lunch.

"I'm really looking forward to today's hero training. How about you guys?" Uraraka said after she placed her tray on the table next to yours.

Midoriya choked on his bite of fish. "Y-yeah, I heard that All Might might be teaching our class."