22 | Rooftop

The clinking sound of knives, forks and chopsticks against plates was obscured by the constant chit-chat in Lunch Rush. You glanced at Todoroki across the table. He chatted with Midoriya, who had earned Todoroki's respect during the Sports Festival. As it turned out, both boys were big All Might fans.

You noticed that Ochaco did not place her tray next to yours. Instead, Ochaco sat further away from you, allowing Tsu to take her usual seat. For some reason, she seemed off since this morning.

You couldn't work out why Ochaco was avoiding you. You always had something to talk about, but today she kept giving you short responses.

"Ochaco, are you okay?" You said.

"Yeah. No problem." She beamed at you. Though you figured that her smile was fake, as she swiftly carried on talking to the rest of your classmates.

After lunch, you wandered around the school halls on your own until you had a great idea. You could go up to the school's rooftop to take in a better view of Musutafu. You had wanted to go up there for the longest time but weren't sure if it was out of bounds for students.

You trotted up the stairs and pushed the heavy door open. As you looked around the spacious place surrounded by fences, you noticed him. Todoroki was sitting down, with his elbows on his knees, drinking some strawberry milk.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt." You put your hands together and took a step back.

Even though this was his sacred thinking place, he tapped the ground next to him to invite you to join him.

You caught a fleeting glimpse of his smile. All you needed was that. You walked and sat down with caution, making sure to leave a gap between the two of you.

He placed the milk carton on the side before he broke the ice. "I like the sound of your hero name, by the way."

"Thanks. I like yours, too. Nice and simple."

"Yours is nice and simple as well," Todoroki deadpanned. "The Life Hero: Vita. Did you have a hard time coming up with it?"

"A harder time than you did with yours, that's for sure." You let out a small laugh.

Todoroki shook his head. "Fair enough."

"It's cool." You patted him on the back harder than you intended, which startled him. He lurched forwards, but soon regained his composed posture.

As the spring wind ruffled both of your school uniforms, Todoroki rested his chin on his hand, pensive.

You brought your legs closer to your chest. Though the silence between you was comfortable, you remembered that you wanted to check on him earlier.

"Um, so, who are you planning on doing your internship with, Shoto?"

When his lips set in a grim line, you acknowledged that that was what was probably bothering earlier today.

"I've yet to decide. Thanks to Midoriya, I'm starting to come to terms with some unresolved stuff from the past."

You nodded, listening intently. Midoriya had encouraged Todoroki to use his left side during their one on one battle, but his change of heart stemmed from somewhere far deeper.

"I received well over two thousand offers, but I was wondering whether I should shadow my father."

You scratched your cheek as a chill ran down your spine at the thought. "Alright. I see where you're coming from."

"How about you, (y/n)? You received plenty of offers as well, didn't you?"

"Yeah. I'm not too familiar with most agencies in Musutafu, so I might have a better look before settling which one I'm going for."