14. Dinner & Interruptions

{ Adelina POV }

Later on that night, I had gotten myself ready by dressing casually in a white tank top, with a red and black flannel I had lying around. To add up the ensemble, I paired it with black jeans and a pair of black wedges. My hair had been tied up in a messy ponytail, letting my bangs fall gracefully and effortlessly on my face. I looked in the mirror, content with the way I had looked; as if I hadn't been trying to hard. There was no reason for me impress Cristiano, so why had I worried about what to wear just hours prior?

Before we headed off to dinner, I made sure the boys had finished their homework for the day. They had usually been good about that, even with the Portuguese still being a bit of a challenge. When I had announced the news that we would be headed to Cristiano's for dinner, the boys' faces lit up like a Christmas tree. I had never seen them so excited. Maybe it was because it was their favorite soccer player? Or maybe because they had grown used to him? It was a strange thought, because they hadn't seemed to have the similar reaction whenever Gareth was mentioned. I brushed it off, not wanting to waste any more time in my thoughts.

I grabbed the boys' coats, my purse, and keys and we made it out the door.

~ ~ ~

When we arrived, Cristiano pleasantly greeted us at his door with a warm smile. He brought each of the boys into an embrace, followed by a half-sized one-arm hug when I approached him. I smiled softly, stepping into the family house. I gazed the living room as I had done the first time, as if I had been looking for something specifically. My eyes analyzed every inch, not noticing anything different. He had kept the apartment the same since our last visit, the pictures still placed in their same, usual spots. I smile, taking a seat on the couch as Cristiano made his way to the bar area.

"Mae! We're going to go play in the backyard before dinner," Carlos said to me, preparing himself to follow Junior to the back.

Josue popped out from his brother's side and smiled. "Please, mae?"

I giggle and nod my head. "Go ahead, but only for a little while."

Cristiano followed my response with a light chuckle, as he poured red wine into a glass for me. He handed one over to me, as he took a seat next to me. "Salud?"

"Salud," I respond raising my glass, then taking a small sip from it.

"You know," Cristiano started. "Junior really missed them. Asked about them every day."

I roll my eyes playfully in his direction. "I know the feeling; the boys were so excited when I told them we were coming over."

Cristiano radiated his crooked smile towards me, slowly peaking out were his close-to-perfect white teeth. He looked down at his wine glass, tracing the rim with his thumb lightly. The expression he had on his face appeared to have shown that he was in thought. I watched intently, until he looked up, his hazel brown eyes meeting mine. A slightly soft, pinkish tone creeped onto the apples of my cheeks. I cleared my throat in an attempt to shake off my bashful reaction.

"Lina." His voice cut the air in between us as he spoke my name. "I-I'm really glad you came."

My smile was genuine. For so long, I had waited for this moment; a moment we can talk as friends again and have no more tension. "Me too."

He matched my smile almost instantly and eagerly, as if he had waited for this moment since our last encounter. The 'moment' was interrupted with a ding that came from the kitchen. Cristiano got up, knowing what the ding was alerting him for. "I'll be right back, that's the chicken."

I nod in his direction as he disappeared into the next room. As if on cue, my phone began to ring a soft tone. I place my glass down on his coffee table and reach for my purse. As I pull my phone up in front of me, the caller ID read loud and clear.