Eleanor pondered his words for a few seconds, they were an unusual mixture of concern and amusement.

"Sounds about right."

And she continued walking.

"Eleanor you can't be alone right now."

He hollered across the car park.

"Feel free to come with me then."

She didn't raise her voice - she knew he would hear her either way.

Eleanor smirked as she heard him catching up behind her.

They found themselves back in the field of daisies. In a rare occurrence, sun shone down of them in buttery beams of light. It was a lovely day.

Jasper had suggested that they attempt to figure out the extent of Eleanor's power - or at least try to manifest it. So they stood facing each other, a few metres between them as Eleanor held her hands out as if she were holding a large ball.

"Remember how you felt last night - concentrate on the emotion an feel it rising up within in. Try and focus it in your hands, project it."

Jasper's word were reduced to background noise as Eleanor attempted to muster up some emotion, channeling the memories of last night.

As the recollections flashed in her mind, she felt a hint of panic  - but nothing powerful enough to induce the strange power within her.

"It's not working - I just can't feel the emotions like I did in the moment."

Jasper spent a moment in thought before making a suggestion, "Think of something deeply emotional - a memory or even just a situation which invokes emotions."

Eleanor sighed, it was so very convenient that this power relied on the one thing she lacked. She looked back through her memories, searching for a sentimental one.

Her first piano recital, came to mind.

The nerves were loud in my head as I faced the audience. It was mostly parents supporting their children, but that made it no less intimidating as each pair of eyes analyzed me. Then I found my parents faces, their smiles wide with pride in the front row - the anxiety settling in my stomach as I began to play.

They cheered once I finished the short tune I had played, it was mediocre at best but they clapped as if Mozart were performing.

Eleanor's heart warmed at the memory, but her emotions soon became colder. She would never experience their support again - they were gone. And then she felt the harrowing grief envelope her.

The familiar feeling of the foreign power growing inside her was present as she embraced the melancholy. She focused on her hands, pushing it from her palms.

Slowly, black inky smoke manifested between her hands - strangely interacting with the air, almost opalescent in the sun. The cloud grew just as Eleanor's grief did - forming a stormy ball of dark vapor.

It was strange sight, Jasper watched the peculiar spectacle with awe. It looked looked like charcoal smoke, yet clung together in a cloud and moving strangely between Eleanor's hands.

"Now try to utilize it - attack me."

She looked up to Jasper, his face encouraging her.

Eleanor pushed the inky manifestation of her power toward Jasper, focusing on the intent to attack him. It snaked around him in a rope.

As it engulfed him, he was drowned in the melancholy Eleanor felt so intensely, as if the smoke had personified the emotion it was induced by. Then it seeped into his head, through his nose, ears, even his eyes. And his mind filled with agonizing grief.

Images of the newborns he had killed, flashes of their heart wrenching pain as someone they trusted betrayed them, it blinded him.

"Jasper?"

He felt Eleanor's cool hand on his cheek as he blinked away the grievous memories and found her face in font of his - calming the pain lingering in his mind.

"What happened?"

He tried to find the right words as sat on the ground, his muscles feeling weak for the first time since his human days.

"It was like you weaponized your emotions, your victims emotions even - I could feel the grief you felt as you manifested it but when you used it against me it was so much stronger, almost suffocating."

Once again, Eleanor Hanson had stunned him. He felt no hostility towards her - a strange version of pride filling his chest, and curiosity. He found it ironic, the similarity in their powers.

"I'm sorry."

Eleanor's voice was flat and emotionless as it always was - but Jasper felt the meaning behind it, she didn't want to hurt him.

"Don't be sorry. Now we now the nature of your power."

Jasper's exhaustion was evident. He now lay flat on the grass, looking up to the perfectly blue sky.

Eleanor found her way to the ground, placing her head on his chest, laying perpendicular to him and lighting a cigarette. She brought her hand up and traced the bite mark peeping from his sleeve, indented into his cold skin. Her touch was light as it trailed the scar.

"Was this when you turned?"

Jasper explained his past. His position in the Texas Cavalry, his relationship with Maria - the things he did for her.

"I thought it was love. But she was manipulating me, exploiting my power. Eventually I left. Alice found me a few years later, she saw me coming, of course - lead me to Carlisle and the rest of my family who showed me a better way of life."

"Is Alice..."

Jasper smirked at the timid question.

"No, we're family that's all."

Eleanor digested the story. It must've been hard, she thought, leaving someone who had convinced him they were in love only to use him. He was so much more than a tool of authority and control.

She wanted to tell him that - show him that she cared. But she didn't know how.

"Well I'm glad she found you and brought you here."

And, for the first time, he agreed.

-

A/N;

Bit of a longer chapter, but an important one. I wanted to expand on Eleanor's power and her relationship with Jasper (continuing in the next chapter), but I hope you like it!

Only me getting Harry Potter learning expecto patronum vibes?  Using memories and all that.

Anyway, vote and comment if you liked it :)