TWENTY FIVE

Edward's cry for Jasper was heard by all of the Cullens, each of them turning to him before he raced off towards the mountain. The weight of worry heavy on his shoulders, he heard the panic in Edward's voice and could feel the raw distress of Bella as he neared.

There she was.

Jasper hadn't felt anything like it before, it was indescribable, the agony mustered by the sight of Eleanor, still and pale in the snow. The sight he was so desperate to keep at bay. He was on his knees beside her, he brushed the stray hairs that framed her face as he fought back the anger. At her or himself he couldn't tell.

"What did she do?" His voice was quiet, shaking.

"She saved us" Edward stood behind him, "She's still alive, listen-"

"Barley, she's barely alive - she's slipping away." Jasper's hands tightened around her as if his grip would keep her from falling into deaths clasp as he listened to the faint struggling beat of her heart.

Alice stood at the other side of her, she had followed Jasper after they heard Edward's call.

"Jasper, she would want you to do it, she told me."

Jasper wiped snow from her porcelain cheek as he toyed with the thought, the choice had been stolen from him, Maria had forced the bite on him in an act he thought was love. Yet he couldn't live without her, it was selfish, but now that he had tasted a life of happiness with her he wouldn't let it slip from his fingers - not when he had the power to potentially save her. This wasn't what Maria had done, a fake show of love for her own material gain, Jasper's love was real and too powerful to let her go.

"The Volturi is coming."

Alice was gone in a second, off to warn the rest of her family.

"Do it. Bite her." Bella shouted at Jasper, her words interrupted by violent sobs, tears streaming down her face as she watched Eleanor's life slip away. "Please. I can't lose her."

Jasper could feel the red hot anger in Bella, anger at Victoria, anger at herself, her sadness was camouflaged by the potent rage.

He sighed, placing a kiss on her frozen forehead before his fangs sank into her pale neck.

It was overwhelming, Eleanor stood in the darkness of the purgatory she was so desperate to never to return to as she attempted to cling to her emotions. Death stood before her, his skeletal hand reaching out for her.

She gathered every memory, replaying them in her head trying to ward off the harrowing emptiness of death.

But death only moved closer, closing in on her. Despite the vast dark expanse around her, she felt claustrophobic as death's figure grew bigger. Its hand grasping towards her, attempting to catch her soul in his clutches.

Eleanor pictured Jasper, keeping his face in her mind as hope slipped from her. Remembering the warm happiness he had brought her in an attempt to ward off the grim aura of emptiness.

"I gave you Riley's soul, you don't need mine - please give me more time."

She could hear her voice, broken and fractured as she faced her fate.

Death's reply echoed in her head, not a voice per se, but a message.

"You've been living on borrowed minutes, it is time. Balance needs to be preserved."

Then there was pain, burning and excruciating, the first pain she had felt in months. It ran through her veins, invading every inch of her body. She fell to her knees, supporting herself with her hands against the cold black floor as she convulsed in pain.

Eleanor forced her gaze upward, to death as its grim hand shrank backwards, the dark sockets of its skeletal face looking down on her.

"Please." Her voice was shaking, "Let me go."

There was a moment of agony and silence, every muscle in Eleanor's body spasming in burning fits as she lay below death. A moment in which death caught sight of a distant future and made a decision.

"You will return to me, as everyone does. Your soul belongs to me - remember this."

It was all Eleanor could hear, death's ghastly whisper echoing dimly in her mind as pain pulsed through her body her vision blurring into nothing. The message burnt into her mind, your soul belongs to me.

Then there was the pale sky.

-

A/N;

Short and sweet. Sorry for the wait, I lost motivation for this story and I'm not sure if I will be updating regularly but I'll try my best.

Thank you so much for the comments, seeing that you enjoy my writing means the world to me!