My account had been created and my page was up. I looked at the info I filled for my self summary and sighed.

Shit.

I sounded so lame.

Ugh.

I picked up my phone and took a picture of my laptop screen, sending it to Arlen who immediately calls me. I t made me wonder if he was sitting and waiting for me.

"You really joined a site?" He asked and I hummed. I moved my laptop off my thighs and picked up my mug. I needed a refill. I flipped on the kettle and waited.

"You were going to set me up with gross Carl." I said and Arlen chuckled.

"I wasn't really going to."

"Yes you were. Don't even front about it." I said, my eyes narrowed. If he was here, I would have glared at him so hard and maybe pinch him a little.

"You know me so well." Arlen chuckled and I just shake my head at him.

"I grew up with you, Lenny." I said. I placed the call on speaker and kept the phone on the table while I moved around the kitchen. "Are you at work?" I asked.

"Yeah. I have a ton of meetings today." Arlen replied with a loud sigh.

"Look at you. Busy man with a busy job." I teased as I stirred my coffee. This time Arlen laughed, loud and airy, not a chuckle.

"I never knew selling clothes would be this much of a hassle. I don't even make the clothes." He said and I shake my head at him again. Arlen and I stay on the phone, talking until it was time for his meeting. With a promise of getting diner later, the call ends.

I heard a light ping come from the laptop and I look over at it. Was I already getting messages? Or in this case, one message? I could check it now or I could wait until after diner?

Yeah, waiting unill after dinner is the best option.

With my cup of coffee in my left hand and my phone in my right, I sat back down on the couch. I binged the entire season of Never Have I Ever and started watching La Casa Del Papel. By four thirty, I finally got off the couch and went to shower. I had an appointment by six and I had to leave on time if I was going to catch the bus.

This particular client didn't like perfume or cologne, so I made sure to use the scent free products. He also liked lemon scents. He always sent care packages to me, a basket of body wash, conditioner and the likes. He had a particular taste and it wasn't a hassle.

I tugged on a green crop jumper that stopped just a bit above my belly button and tugged on vintage jeans and slipped on my vans. I pulled on a black beanie, grabbed my phone and wallet before walking out of the house.

I made my way down the stairs, putting on my Airpods, Imagine Dragons playing through the tiny speakers. The bus stop was empty and it takes less than five minutes for the bus to pull up. I do not live in a gated community but it was nice and quiet, except for the occasional parties.

I had enough money and could use an Uber but on lazy days where I do nothing but sit and watch tv, walking, getting off each bus and waiting for the next was much needed. I needed actual interaction.
And also, I liked taking buses because I spend half the bus ride with Jaden.

I smiled at the boy, immediately moving over to him. The boy simply rolled his eyes at me but lifted his bag off the empty seat beside him. He was still in his school uniform, black blazer, black shoes and a blue and red tie, the school's crest on it.

"Aw, I missed your scowly face." I said as I fall into the empty seat.

"You saw me yesterday." The boy said, turning said scowly face to me.

Jaden was a senior in high school, he only had a couple of months left before he was going to gradate and had turned eighteen a month ago. He was the annoying younger brother I never had. We met on this bus after he tried to hide a black eyes with a pirate patch and hoodie during the summer, last year. He had worn a hoodie in the fucking heat.

"How was school? Your exams?" I asked and he shrugged. "Jaden?"

"I had AP chemistry today and I am so done with school. I don't need a degree to work, do I?" Jaden frowned.

"You want to be a doctor, so yeah buddy, you do." I said and he glared at me.

"You're not helping. You're meant to agree with me, and don't call me buddy."

Jaden was that kid. You'd take a look at him and just think, he's definitely a jock or maybe the captain of the basketball team because, he was tall and even the blazer showed off muscles. Yet he was timid and super smart. He unfortunately didn't luck out with his parents.

He never told me what exactly was going on but I could put two and two together. I haven't seen him with any bruises except the black eyes from last month and I think his uniform hides the rest.

I don't know how to go about asking him. So I don't.
He does have my business card in his wallet and he knows he can call if he needed help with anything. We talked through the bus ride and the second before I bid him goodbye. When I got onto the third bus that would stop where I needed to be, I sent Arlen a text, letting him know I was on my way. He already had the address and information, in case something goes wrong.

With my head leaning against the window, Airpods in and Skylar Grey singing softly in my ear, I felt... calm. Anything could come my way and I'd be ready for it.

What did you think?

Leave a comment below ❤️