Chapter 8

It has been a couple of weeks. It is Megan's first day at her new school. She wakes up at 6am and has a quick wash. She brushes her hair and does her make-up before getting dressed into a pink sweater, blue jeans and some white canvas shoes.

 She brushes her hair and does her make-up before getting dressed into a pink sweater, blue jeans and some white canvas shoes

She packs her backpack with her notebooks, her diary, her pencil case, her reading book and earphones. She walks out of her room and to the kitchen where Cruz and Sylvie are sat drinking some coffee.

'Good morning.' Sylvie smiles.

'Morning.' Megan smiles back. She places her bag down before making herself a bowl of cereal. 

'Are you ready for your first day back at school?' Cruz asks her. 

'Yes and no.' Megan sighs as she sits down with her cereal. 'I've never had good experiences with school.'

''You'll be fine.' Sylvie reassures her. 'The school already knows about your situation. If you're ever feeling overwhelmed, you can walk out of your lesson and go to the guidance counsellor. Or you can call me.' 

'Or me.' Cruz adds.

'Don't feel like you need to endure it.' Sylvie tells her. 'Your mental health should always be your priority. Okay?' 

'Okay.' Megan nods.

.

An hour later, Sylvie is pulling up in front of Monfort High School. She puts the brake on and turns to Megan. 

'Are you sure you don't want me to come in with you?' Sylvie asks Megan. 

'I'm sure.' Megan nods. 'All I have to do is go to the front office and meet the guidance counsellor.'

'I just want you to feel safe.' Sylvie states. 'I mean, with your experiences-'

'Sylvie.' Megan cuts her off. 'I'll be fine.' She takes her seatbelt off and hugs Sylvie. 'Like you said, if I get too overwhelmed, I'll call you, I promise.' She adds as they part. 

'Since I'm on shift, will you be okay to come to the firehouse after school?' Sylvie queries.

'Yeah.' Megan smiles. 'I'll see you later.' She gets out of the car and walks up into the school. Once she's in the building, she navigates her way to the front office. She pushes the door open and walks in. A woman in her late twenties walks up to her. She's holding some paper in her hands.

'You must be Megan Levine.' She smiles.

'Yeah.' Megan nods.

'I'm Grace Davidson. The guidance counsellor.' The woman introduces herself. 'Your cousin, I think it was-' Megan nods, 'your cousin mentioned that you've had problems with public school in the past?'

'Yeah.' Megan nods. 'I was bullied which lead to my eating disorders and my mental health just went downhill from there.' 

'Well, we're here to support you.' Grace reassures her. 'My office door is always open and if you don't feel comfortable eating in front of everyone in the cafeteria, you can come and sit in my office.'