Chapter 2

When Antonio moves out of the way and they see Megan, Sylvie stops dead in her tracks.

'Meg?' Sylvie says quietly.

'Hey, Sylvie.' Megan sighs. Emily and Sylvie kneel down in front of Megan. They both put their gloves on and hook her up to the monitor. Sylvie gently takes Megan's arms and looks at her wrists. 'I didn't know you'd moved to Chicago.' Megan tells Sylvie.

'How do you two know each other?' Emily asks them.

'My mom - adoptive mom - is sisters with Megan's mom.' Sylvie replies.

'So you're -' Emily starts.

'Cousins?' Megan raises an eyebrow. 'Yeah.' She nods. Sylvie opens up a pack of antiseptic wipes and starts cleaning the blood from Megan's arm.

'Aren't you supposed to be at that boarding school?' Sylvie queries.

'I- it's a long story.' Megan says, looking down.

'Where are your mom and dad?' Sylvie queries.

'That's also a long story.' Antonio says. Emily notices the cut on his hand. Antonio sees her looking at it. 'I'm fine. Just concentrate on Megan for now.' Emily hands him a gauze to cover the cut before turning her attention back to the young girl and starts cleaning the blood from Megan's other arm.

'When you get to Med, they'll want to do a psyche evaluation on you.' Emily informs her.

'I know.' Megan nods. 'I've been through it over a dozen times.' Sylvie and Emily start wrapping the bandages around her arms.

'You know you call me about anything anytime.' Sylvie reminds her.

'I know,' Megan sighs and nods, 'but you have your own life to worry about.'

'Are you on any medication?' Sylvie queries.

'No.' Megan shakes her head. 'I don't fit the criteria to be prescribed anti-depressants, whatever the hell that means.' There are a few minutes of silence.

'We're going to start an IV line and start you on some saline to replace the blood that you've lost until we get you to the hospital. They'll start transfusion blood there.' Emily informs her.

'I haven't lost that much blood.' Megan shakes her head.

'You've lost quite a bit.' Sylvie nods. 'You're pale and your blood pressure is a bit low.' She gets the cannula packaging out of the medical bag and opens. She gets ready to insert the needle.

'No!' Megan jerks her hand away.

'Right, fear of needles.' Sylvie sighs. 'I'm sorry, Meg.'

'What have nurses or medics done before to help you with the needles?' Emily questions.

'Oh, they knock me out and do it then.' Megan states. Sylvie laughs softly thinking it was a joke. 'I'm not kidding. They legit give me sedative or whatever and do it.'

'Is there anything else that they do?' Emily asks.

'They just distract me and do it when I'm not paying attention.' Megan smiles.

'You could have led with that.' Sylvie raises an eyebrow. As they talk, Emily inserts the cannula.

'Where would the fun have been in that?' Megan smiles.

'There we go.' Emily says. Megan looks at her hand and sees the cannula in place. The saline drip has already been connected and started. 'You didn't feel it?'

'When you've had so many you don't tend to feel it anymore.' Megan replies. 'I thought that it'd make me less scared of needles but I guess not.'

'Right.' Emily sighs as she stands up and unfolds the stairchair. 'Let's get you down to the ambulance.' Sylvie and Emily help Megan stand up, sit her down on the stairchair and strap her in. 'We're going to take you to Med.'