Chapter 45: everyone needs a keira walsh

They both knew their relationship wouldn't heal easily. They sat on the sofa in front of the TV in each others arms that night, just like they always had but it was still different. It was always going to be. Everything about their future was still unresolved but they didn't want to have to deal with it right now. So they lay together, wrapped around each other, silently watching Peaky Blinders, in their own world where they didn't have to worry about anything else in the quiet of the night.

Keira rested her head on Lucy's chest, feeling her rise and sink with every breath, listening to her heartbeat. Here she was again, wrapped around Lucy's finger, or more literally, wrapped in her arms, and part of her wondered why. Lucy was, truly, slowly killing her. Cutting her in little ways all the time. How much longer would she stand it? How much longer would she run away and run back to hold her? She didn't want to think about it in this moment, so she let them pretend like everything was alright. No matter how forced it felt.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Both Keira and Lucy, eager for distraction, started and looked towards the door.

"I'll get it," Lucy grunted quietly, starting to move Keira as she tried to get up.

"Its ok, I got it," Keira told her, jumping to her feet and walking to the front door.

She was surprised to see Georgia Stanway's little face looking back at her when she cracked the door open. Keira shivered in the cold air that came through the front door. "G! What's up? Come on in! Its freezing!"

"Steph said I would find you here," Georgia said. "Actually...do you mind if we talk outside?"

Keira nodded, looking with concern down at Georgia. The young forward didn't have any of the bright bubbly spirit she usually carried with her, she was serious and worried looking and her voice was filled with urgency. Keira snatched her sweatshirt from the hook behind the door and glancing quickly back at Lucy, who was watching her from the sofa, her face illuminated in the darkness by the TV, she stepped outside into the cold and shut the door behind her.

She and Georgia stood for a moment of silence outside in front of the house, both hugging themselves in the frigid air. Georgia was avoiding eye contact with Keira.

"So whats happened, G?" Keira asked. "You ok?"

Georgia looked up into Keira's eyes, and bit her lip. Then the tears started coming as Georgia shook her head no.

Keira's heart dropped and a million concerns swirled around her mind as she pulled her friend into her. "Come here," she said softly, stroking Georgia's back gently and resting her chin atop G's head. She held her friend steady as the sobs shook her body.

Georgia pulled away a bit after a few minutes in Keira's arms. "Keira, I need help...I don't know what to do...I'm a complete wreck...Please, Kei!" She dove into Keira's chest again, just wanting to be held.

"Of course, G, of course," Keira told her reassuringly, giving her a comforting hug. "Of course I'll help you. But I cant help you if I don't know what's wrong." She looked down into Georgia's tear-stained face. "Tell me whats wrong, G."

As the tears poured down Georgia's face, Keira's heart broke. She hated seeing her best friend like this.

"Keira...I...I'm pregnant!" Georgia stammered, wailing. "I'm pregnant and I don't know what to do!"

Keira took a deep breath and exhaled shortly. She put two comforting hands on Georgia's shoulders. "But...but that's wonderful news, G! I...I'm so happy for you! I know its surprising, but you are so so strong and you are ready for this, and-"

Georgia cut her off. "No, its not wonderful news. Keira, don't you understand? My family..."

Keira looked searchingly in G's watery eyes. "Your...your family what?" She tried to understand though the young forward wasn't able to finish her sentence.

"My family, they've kicked me out the house, Keira," sobbed Georgia, her breath shaky as she gasped for air. She fell apart in Keira's arms as they stood, just the two of them in front of the house in the cold night.

A tear fell down Keira's face as she was consumed with sadness for her best friend. "Oh my god, G...I...you can stay here, with me and Lucy. I can...I can help you out...we can do this...you know? We can...we can..." Keira was at a loss for words as she tried to think of ways to help and comfort her friend.

Georgia sniffled. "I'm staying with Olly and of course he will help me, its his child for gods sake, but I don't know what I will do without my family! And just the thought that...that they've disowned me...oh Keira!" The tears continued.

Keira stroked G's hair with a loving hand. "Its ok, G...I will be, I promise. I'm here for you, every step of the way, ok? We can do this." She held Georgia close till they'd both run out of tears.

"Can I drive you to Olly's then?" Keira asked. "Please?" She smiled, wiping a tear from G's cheek, red from the cold.

Georgia shook her head. "Thankyou Kei, but I think its more important for you to get back inside to Lucy."

Keira glanced quickly towards the house, crossing her arms against the chilling air. "She'll be fine."

"Keira," Georgia said firmly. "Go inside." She gave Keira one last hug before driving off into the night and Keira stood there, watching the road long after G had disappeared out of sight. She dried all her tears before going back inside to lay down beside Lucy on the sofa.

"What was that about, Kei?" Lucy asked her, playing with Keira's hair as Keira rested her head in Lucy's lap.

"It was Georgia."

"I know." Lucy waited for more information.

Keira stared at the TV without answering. She didn't want to bring it up so soon after they'd gotten back together but it was inevitable. Keira sat up more, resting on her elbow as she looked up at Lucy.

"Lucy, I really cant go to Lyon with you now," she said quietly and seriously.

"Well...ok...but why? I mean, why definitely not now?" Lucy asked. She knew about Keira's feelings towards Lyon in regards to her career and everything but was both surprised to hear her mention Lyon and wondered why it was more certain now.

"G's pregnant."

"What!? Baby G is having a baby??" Lucy flipped out.

Keira frowned at her. "Lucy, chill. It's Olly's kid. But G's family have kicked her out..."

"Are you f@cking kidding me! Why?"

Keira sighed. "I don't know, Lucy. You know how...strict they are. Anyways...Georgia needs me, now more than ever." Keira laid her head back down in Lucy's lap, rubbing her thumb gently across Lucy's hand. She knew that even though their whole fight had blown over mostly, it would be hard for Lucy to hear that she was definitely not going to Lyon.

Lucy was silent for awhile, and went back to playing with Keira's ginger hair. "Ok." She nodded, trying to reassure herself and stay strong most of all. She knew it was her turn to make unselfish decisions. "Ok, no Lyon. You're absolutely right, Kei. G needs you. Everyone needs you, Kei. You're just so lovely." She leaned down and kissed Keira's forehead sweetly. "Everyone needs a Keira Walsh." This time, Lucy truly truly meant what she was saying.